AUS-CITY
Posted By: sachz New UBI Boxes - Sat 29 Apr 2006 11:09:AM
Guys,<br /><br />I've taken advantage of the Balkans Package Special to renew my previously dead-tarbs box with UBI. I have to say firstly the technical support lady was very helpful to assist me with getting my box working on the late friday night.<br /><br />My question at this point is:<br /><br />My signal strength is 60, and quality about 59.<br /><br />Can i improve this by arranging (at my expense) to install say a 90 or 120cm dish on my roof, as opposed to the existing 60 (?) cm one, so that in poor weather conditions the signal still remain strong. (i get mild pixelation too often in my opinion).<br /><br />also, will the new boxes replacing the existing tarbs ones be more sensitive and help in this scenario.<br /><br />my dish is cleaned and aligned properly and i cannot improve these values.<br />thanks in advance! <br />-s smile
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 29 Apr 2006 11:21:AM
I use a 90cm myself when it rains lightly and not to hard its fine and i can watch the UBI channels without interuption but when it pours like rains real hard all signal is loss a 90cm would make a difference but when it rains real hard not much you can do about it<br /><br />hope this helps smile
Posted By: sachz Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 29 Apr 2006 11:11:PM
what is your signal strength and quality on a 90, and would a 120 do a lot better job or only slightly?
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 29 Apr 2006 11:19:PM
i get 60 / 60 but that really isen't much of a indication as i have a friend with a 65cm that gets 70 / 60 and cuts out earlier then mine when it rains as its a 65cm <br /><br />well they say the bigger you go the better i guess a 1.2 meter will hold out much better in bad weather smile
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Sun 30 Apr 2006 12:02:AM
Sachz,<br /><br />IF your getting above the levels below then your getting perfect SL/SQ<br /><br />Signal Level: >55<br />Signal Quality: >45<br /><br />The pizelation your getting could be from the TARBS decoder itself.<br /><br />Just wait for the new UBI decoder and see if the pixelation your getting is fixed.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Sun 30 Apr 2006 01:28:PM
sachz ur values high enough to watch ubi. don't waste ur time trying to improve it. actually ur values are better than mine.<br /><br />those pixelations u see could be due to the low picture quality of that channel. I also get awful pixelation on some turkish channels. some are so bad it feels like im watching a tv channel on the internet with a 56k dial up connection.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 01 May 2006 01:34:AM
The Balkan channels (MKTV, K-15 & BOM) should'nt have pixelation.
Posted By: TV_Nerd Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 01 May 2006 09:42:AM
Don't forget, it could be your LNB. The receiver resolves BER from C/N (carrier level divided by noise level) The more carrier the more C/N the more noise, the less C/N. Most installers only carry level meters and can only measure half of the equation. A bad LNB can make lots of signal AND lots of noise. Also, its not hard to line up an antenna on a side lobe that will work ok in clear skys but fall over quickly in weather.<br /><br />Also, we are at the end of the sun outage season - don't mistake poor performance for 20 min at 10:30am as your problem.
Posted By: ZuluChief Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 04 May 2006 08:54:AM
Question to Liski,<br /><br />1/When the boxes are swapped, who owns the box. ??<br />At the moment I own the box.<br /><br />2/Most of the programs shown on Vizyon "freeze" once in a while, some more than others, is this a Vizyon feature! or is it a recording problem ??<br /><br />Thanx
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 04 May 2006 09:29:AM
ZuluChief,<br /><br />1. The UBI decoder will remain the property of UBI WORLD TV<br /><br />2. Vizyon does have a problem sometimes but will be fixed within a week or so - new server required.
Posted By: joe_br Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 04 May 2006 10:46:AM
[]ZuluChief,<br /><br />1. The UBI decoder will remain the property of UBI WORLD TV<br /><br />2. Vizyon does have a problem sometimes but will be fixed within a week or so - new server required. [/]<br /><br />Liski,<br />I know that a lot has been said about this replacement,but:<br />1) If I own a decoder why I am not 'authorized' to keep it ?<br />2) The new decoder would remain the property of UBI WORLD TV.<br /><br />I think this is the most fair thing to do ...
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 04 May 2006 11:08:AM
joe_br,<br /><br />There will be more information closer to the 15/05.<br /><br />IF you own you can keep it!
Posted By: TV_Nerd Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 04 May 2006 12:35:PM
Interesting concept .....<br /><br />UBI subscribers spend two or three hundres dollars on a MDS STB,<br /><br />then.... UBI changes to Irdeto CA and makes the MDS box valueless<br /><br />and .... offers to replace it with a new STB that remains the property or TARBS<br /><br />So, the subscribers have lost a $300 asset and TARBS generously loans then a STB so long as they continue to pay TARBS each month?<br /><br />How do I get into this business .....
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 04 May 2006 11:29:PM
TV_Nerd,<br /><br />Most of the UBI Subscribers already had a TARBS decoder from TARBS. If they didn't it's most cause they either sold it, threw it or pirated/hacked and no longer works.
Posted By: ZuluChief Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 05 May 2006 02:54:AM
Will we be compensated for the $200 useless MDS box we purchased and was told it will never be superseded and will be guranteed for life (I guess that was for the life of TARBS, UBI is a different company now....right)
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 05 May 2006 03:59:AM
ZuluCheif,<br /><br />Thats TARBS. UBI is here to stay so the system needs to be updated.<br /><br />There will not be any compensation for the TARBS decoder.
Posted By: Uruguay Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 05 May 2006 11:53:AM
Do we have to swop the box?<br />can;t i just get the new box and keep the old one?<br /> what use does it have to UBI??
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 05 May 2006 03:20:PM
You get to keep your MDS box. Liski has already confirmed this in another thread.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 05 May 2006 03:35:PM
[]You get to keep your MDS box. Liski has already confirmed this in another thread. [/]<br /><br />mr boulos on ch72 saying they will take the tarbs box. and now everybody is confused.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 06 May 2006 03:37:AM
They aren't taking something I didn't buy from them. I own it and that's that.
Posted By: Dan04 Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 06 May 2006 06:45:AM
Has UBI started sending out boxes Liski?
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Sun 07 May 2006 11:18:PM
Dan04,<br /><br />No. The roll out starts May 15.
Posted By: TV_Nerd Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 08 May 2006 09:12:AM
It doesn't matter if you keep the MDS box or not. It's has no value beyond scrap metal. Too light for a boat anchor, too big to prop open a door, won't work on FTA ......<br /><br />Maybe a top ten list of things to do with your old TARBs box. Opening suggestion:<br /><br />"Put it at the back of the garage under the Beta-MAX"
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 09 May 2006 02:13:AM
actually they do FTA without a drama. I know people using them on globecast freqs.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 09 May 2006 02:20:AM
if I'll own the new one, that's understandable they can take the old one. but they'll take my box and i won't own the new one!!! that's theft.<br /><br />it's like taking my rug, sofa or tv set to lend me a new box. there's no difference. i paid and own them.<br /><br />why should i get panished if you decide to change ur encription system?<br /><br />why should loyal customers give their boxes if other people ripping UBI off? go find and punish them, not us.
Posted By: jaremt Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 10 May 2006 02:22:AM
[]Will we be compensated for the $200 useless MDS box we purchased and was told it will never be superseded and will be guranteed for life (I guess that was for the life of TARBS, UBI is a different company now....right) [/]<br />Hey Zulu!<br />If you want to put the blame one someone put the blame on your turkish brothers around Australia that are selling modded UBI MDS boxes. Next time you see them explain to them that you want your money back because its scum like them that has forced UBI to spend Millions in changing its encryption.
Posted By: SelecTV Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 10 May 2006 02:27:AM
Old TARBS boxes have serious FTA reception constraints and only work on some services. Lat year, when SELECTV had TV Chile up on the PanGlobal transponder (24k) on PAS-8, the TARBS STBs wouldn't work FTA because there were too many video PIDs (a built in s/w limitation).<br /><br />Never think that this is a usefull FTA STB - maybe pot-hole filler?
Posted By: jaremt Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 10 May 2006 02:33:AM
TARBS/UBI MDS boxes are designed ONLY for conditional access use.
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 10 May 2006 03:05:AM
Another use for them is mount a small LCD screen on the top of it and use it as a signal meter works well for a spare one i have all u need to just a extension cord for power and ur set for when u want to use it wink
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 10 May 2006 06:38:AM
lol. mdsmeter® by lazer<br />u should start collecting tarbs boxes from ebay to get into the busines :P
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 10 May 2006 07:22:AM
[]lol. mdsmeter® by lazer<br />u should start collecting tarbs boxes from ebay to get into the business [/]<br /><br />mdsmeter® by lazer Patent Pending... :tsup LOL hahaha
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 07:20:AM
A new statement being made by Mike Boulos on CH. 72 has him clearly stating that when a licensed installer is sent to your house, to give you your new box, they will TAKE your old TARBS box. A box mind you I never purchased from UBI, but from a friend.<br /><br />Liski, we already have you on record a while back clarifying that we have every right to keep our old TARBS box. Should we assume that Mike has got it wrong???<br /><br />Also, what news about the swap, wasn't there meant to be an update from the 15th May?<br /><br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 07:23:AM
I got a call today from UBI the installer is coming on Thursday to install the new box <br /><br />You can keep the box if you want and if you dont want it they will take it away so you can do what you want with it ;)<br /><br />So people should start getting calls soon as i did smile
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 09:10:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />I'll make it clear for you. If you must keep the MDS STB for whatever reason you can but you will sign the Work Order stating that you are keeping it.<br /><br />UBI prefer that they take it so that they can recycle it the proper way.<br /><br />UBI Installers have started to contact customer today to schedule them in for the upgrade.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 10:09:AM
lol I'm guessing we have to sign so installers aren't accused of stealing?<br /><br />Anyways, is there any word confirming that installers will be sent to all homes, not just Metro/Capital Cities?<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 10:19:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />If there is a UBI Installer in the area they will install it if the they are in an area were is no UBI Installer then the STB will be posted.
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 11:51:AM
[]RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />I'll make it clear for you. If you must keep the MDS STB for whatever reason you can but you will sign the Work Order stating that you are keeping it.<br /><br />UBI prefer that they take it so that they can recycle it the proper way.<br />[/]<br /><br />Recycle it? most likely shipped to PBS in Fiji..
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 12:12:PM
[][]RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />I'll make it clear for you. If you must keep the MDS STB for whatever reason you can but you will sign the Work Order stating that you are keeping it.<br /><br />UBI prefer that they take it so that they can recycle it the proper way.<br />[/]<br /><br />Recycle it? most likely shipped to PBS in Fiji.. [/]<br /><br />It's a way of recycling isnt it?
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 15 May 2006 09:02:PM
I personally think that PBS will prob change to IR2 aswell - so apsattv they won't be sent to PBS.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 16 May 2006 04:59:AM
Has anyone else received a phone call?
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 16 May 2006 05:47:AM
Lazer has and a lot of people have. I do know the UBI Installers are doing it by areas.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 16 May 2006 07:29:AM
My guess is this roll-out will go well into June. Just hope MDS isn't turned off until records show that all existing members have been upgraded.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 16 May 2006 07:46:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />That has always been stated - IR2 will be switched on once all subscribers have been upraded which should be by mid June.<br /><br />The first of new customers have been installed with the new STB today and subscribers will be started to be upgraded from wed/thurs this week.
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 16 May 2006 10:57:AM
Which might be why UBI is currently FTA
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 01:27:AM
yes Liski, I think you should inform everyone that ubi will stay FTA till the installations are completed.<br /><br />Otherwise, infamous dishonest installers would sell FTA receivers to poor old immigrants for UBI.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 01:33:AM
There might be a scroll soon I'm not really sure. At least customers now know that the UBI STB has the UBI logo on it.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 02:18:AM
Further to that the Mike B promo did advise people not to let anyone without UBI ID to change or give you a different STB.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 11:13:AM
ubi ceo shoewed the new box on Vizyon. it's silver with a blue window in front. there is a huge ubi logo on the left hand side. it's also blue. and one blind two card slots on the right.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 11:15:AM
he said they bought 50000 boxes and paid $8 million for the IR2 update.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 11:25:AM
Yep
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 17 May 2006 10:58:PM
He also announced plans for EuroStar (Star TV Turkey) coming to UBI.
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 03:15:AM
Just got my box smile much smaller box then the tarbs box <br /><br /> []http://www.geocities.com/colossos83/ubibox1.JPG[/] <br /> []http://www.geocities.com/colossos83/ubiremote1.JPG[/]
Posted By: alcatron Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 03:50:AM
looks nice, i still havent received a call frown
Posted By: Dan04 Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 03:54:AM
Don't worry I havent either, I hope I dont miss out as I have left it till the very last day registered on 28 April (Friday)
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 05:12:AM
Alcatron,<br /><br />They haven't started calling SA yet. NSW was Tuesday and VIC start being called tomorrow with the other states to follow.<br /><br />Dan04,<br /><br />You won't miss out.
Posted By: Captain Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 06:15:AM
[]Don't worry I havent either, I hope I dont miss out as I have left it till the very last day registered on 28 April (Friday) [/]<br /><br />Hi there,<br /><br />Dan04! are you having both WMI and UBI? :hmm<br />Do you need a UBI receiver? can't you just plug UBI smart card in any IRDETO2 receiver?<br /><br />Cheers
Posted By: Dan04 Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 06:28:AM
I'm going to suspend my service with WMI soon.<br /><br />They wont sell a sub without a UBI box.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 06:34:AM
UBI WORLD TV does not sell a SmartCard only service.
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 09:53:AM
[]he said they bought 50000 boxes and paid $8 million for the IR2 update. [/]<br /><br />Oh dear if they seriously bought 50000 units then that is a rediculous waste of money. 5000 yes fine. but 50000? does anyone think UBI has anything approaching even 5000 subs?<br /><br />we know how long it took for the old Tarbs to reach 50000 subs. I guess you could buy that many and write them off for tax purposes when they depreciate in value....
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 10:08:AM
Where'd my post go????<br /><br />All I asked was whether the box can do FTA channels as well as UBI channels???<br /><br />I thought this forum wasn't going to be unnecessarily censored like in the past?<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 10:10:AM
What post are you talking about i never saw it?<br /><br />And i think Liski has answered that question to you a few times already
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 10:12:AM
Before apsattv's last post, a little while ago I posted a question directed to you, asking if you could confirm whether the new box can also do FTA channels, because I'm interested in knowing whether I'll be able to use it to watch ERT SAT too.<br /><br />I come back to see if there's an answer and my post is gone. :(<br /><br />And yes, Liski did state a while back that it would, but couldn't confirm it that early stage, and I figured you've got one now, so you could confirm it for us.
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 10:17:AM
are you sure you posted it as apsattv just posted before you i never saw anything as the page gets refreshed a few times i never saw your post...<br /><br />anyway i havent tried yet stil playing around with it when i work out how to use it ill try it then
Posted By: Captain Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 10:23:AM
[]UBI WORLD TV does not sell a SmartCard only service. [/]<br /><br />Do you call this ugly box service?<br /><br />Cheers
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 11:16:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />The UBI STB will be able to do FTA, you can add up to 5 more settings. It won't work while the UBI signal is uncrypted for some reason. You currently need to disable the UBI home network (Signal Setup - Home). So once we go IR2 the STB will show UBI and any other service you have entered but those will show on CH500 and above.<br /><br />Any other questions please let me know.<br /><br />apsattv,<br /><br />You make me laugh. UBI has much more then 5000 subs.<br /><br />Captain,<br /><br />If you have nothing constructive to post then please don't bother.
Posted By: jaremt Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 10:53:PM
One of my customers that has UBI will be using his Dreambox as the both of us have read on other forums outside Australian that the new V5 UBI cards will work with the new softcams and as he explained if he is getting Hummmmm, Hummmmmm for nothing in OZ via card sharing you also can use a legit UBI card in one of the two slots available on the dreambox 7000.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Thu 18 May 2006 11:12:PM
jaremt,<br /><br />You might be correct but UBI can activate a stream that will stop that.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 12:33:AM
Liski do you realy belive in what you are talking.You didn't learn anything.What kind of political school you finished.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 01:14:AM
Gizmo,<br /><br />Do you think that every STB out there will be able to get the updates that UBI will be sending out? Have you read the problems people trying to use any Irdeto2 STB with SelecTV?
Posted By: Gizmo Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 01:52:AM
Liski if you know the problem it is not the STB problem but software on what it is working. TARBS and UBI can not fight MDS hacking and you think having proper box with good software will change the position of UBI. If yes you are true UBI dedicated beliver or man without ay knowledge ( you are visiting so many forums and you dont understand anything). You shoud finish your UBI indoctrination.
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 01:55:AM
Gizmo its not just changing the BOX as you say but the whole Encryption system is being changed <br /><br />Maybe you dont understand what you are reading on all forums....
Posted By: Gizmo Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 02:08:AM
Another true beliver.<br /><br />Guys asking your questions. Don't do it.<br /><br />The answers always will be:<br /><br />1. No<br /><br />2. Not<br /><br />3. It can't be done<br /><br />4. UBI will fight all your acts<br /><br />5. UBI is the best, the best, the best
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 02:14:AM
Yet another Smart one on here.... :: :thinking<br /><br />Believe what you wish Mr Gizmo you seem to know it all anyway....
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 02:21:AM
Gizmo,<br /><br />You make me laugh - your saying I have no knowledge? Do you actually know how to read and understand what is written? Have you been following the news about the STB Upgrade? UBI aren't simply changing the STB but switching off the MDS system and moving to Irdeto2.<br /><br />Maybe your simply here as your upset that your going to loose your UBI pirated service :(<br /><br />I’m here to help people with actual questions regarding UBI and not to bother wasting my time with someone with only 12 posts that simply doesn't know how to read and understanding what UBI is currently doing..
Posted By: SelecTV Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 02:36:AM
Just a couple of observations ....<br /><br />(1) We are seeing much fewer problem with card only than we anticipated.<br /><br />(2) Irdeto 2 with an Epsilon card is a much more secure system than MDS. The Epsilon cards also have many, many more options for coutermeasures than the earlier version so Liski's confidence is not mispleaced.<br /><br />This is a good choice for UBI, because piracy hurts everyone.
Posted By: jaremt Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 02:53:AM
[]jaremt,<br /><br />You might be correct but UBI can activate a stream that will stop that. [/]<br /> Stop what?<br />All I said is that you can use a legit UBI Irdeto 2 V5 card in a dreambox and you will have pictures, and UBI can switch what they want and you will never stop a Genuine customer using a dreambox to watch his channels and for the piracy side of thing only a super fool thinks that the dreambox cant get around any encryption around the world, look at the almighty NDS the dreambox makes a meal out of that and all it needed was an updated softcam
Posted By: mule Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 03:00:AM
Did they start delivering the new box in Melbourne Western suburbs (go the bulldogs)?<br />Liski, could you be more precise? What do you tell the installer if the old box is yours and you don't want to give it back? Do you have to sign anything? I assume 90% of the subscriber own their boxes.<br />I hope that the swap takes place with no glitches, because if my wife misses one episode of her soap on TV Globo I'm in trouble...<br />Thanks
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 03:01:AM
jarmet,<br /><br />If you think you can go ahead and use it - if you encounter any problems don't expect UBI to help you.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 03:13:AM
mule,<br /><br />I believe some parts of Melbourne will be called today to schedule an appointment.<br /><br />If you wish to keep the TARBS STB simply advise the Tech and he will tick the appropriate box on the Service Order and have you sign it.<br /><br />There shouldn't be any problems.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 03:14:AM
Liski and again if you don't know how to answer you are accusing people of pirating UBI service (never got TARBS or UBI service official or pirated. Is it something wrong if I got only 12 posts. By the way we all know UBI is not to help us, UBI is to remove money from the pockets
Posted By: reuder Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 03:34:AM
[]jaremt,<br /><br />You might be correct but UBI can activate a stream that will stop that. [/]<br /><br />Then why not have the stream on always?
Posted By: jaremt Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 03:38:AM
Most smart guys that have dreamboxes don't need help and if they want help they won't look at this forum or UBI for it. Bye the Way there are 186 Softcams for the dreambox most boxes today only have ONE and some with the "all cams" have around 6 to 10 so there is your answer dreambox only for the smaties.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 04:04:AM
Gizmo,<br /><br />I won't be replying to your posts - I simply don't understand where your going with your questions.<br /><br />jarmet,<br /><br />Fair enough mate - if it works good for the customer.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 04:45:AM
[]<br />Oh dear if they seriously bought 50000 units then that is a rediculous waste of money. 5000 yes fine. but 50000? does anyone think UBI has anything approaching even 5000 subs?<br /><br />we know how long it took for the old Tarbs to reach 50000 subs. I guess you could buy that many and write them off for tax purposes when they depreciate in value.... [/]<br /><br />i read somewhere ubi was saying they have around 20 000 customers. I don't know if it's true but it sounds reasonable to me.<br /><br />ubi should have more than 5000 turkish customers let alone others.<br /><br />I don't know why they're hiding the real number, taxation purposes? Liski?
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 05:53:AM
Sharp,<br /><br />It's a private company it's not required to release that kind of information. It also isn't good for our competitors to know our number.
Posted By: Dan04 Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 11:30:AM
Liski have they started sending boxes to QLD?
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Fri 19 May 2006 02:04:PM
[]<br /><br />i read somewhere ubi was saying they have around 20 000 customers. I don't know if it's true but it sounds reasonable to me.<br /><br />ubi should have more than 5000 turkish customers let alone others.<br /><br />I don't know why they're hiding the real number, taxation purposes? Liski? [/]<br /><br />Only need to monitor the stream and see how many card activations that are being done to have a good estimate of the TRUE subscribers figures.....<br /><br />and gee who would do that.........
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 20 May 2006 01:30:AM
Dan04,<br /><br />You will be contacted firstly by phone to schedule an appointment.
Posted By: Dan04 Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 20 May 2006 10:04:AM
OK but do you know if they have started installing boxes in QLD or is it only NSW and Victoria at the moment
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 20 May 2006 01:03:PM
Can you do some clearer shots? including the back panel.<br /><br />Who is the manufacturer of these units?<br /><br />are they Chinese? Korean?<br /><br />How about some shots of the menus?
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Sat 20 May 2006 09:47:PM
I thought it would be obvious what they were since the remote does say UEC on it in the pic <br /><br />There a UEC DSD-990
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Sun 21 May 2006 05:02:AM
Think pic of the remote is pretty fuzzy ! in fact I thought it said "UBC" on the middle part..
Posted By: SelecTV Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 22 May 2006 12:33:AM
These are the same H/W as the SELECTV STB, only difference is the silk screening on the front panel - which is the standard NultiChoice Africa STB. <br /><br />back panel:<br /> Composite Video (RCA)<br /> Analogue Auduo L/R (RCA)<br /> Digial Audio SP/DIF (RF RCA)<br /> RF In (terestrial)<br /> RF Out (Terestrial + RF Mod)(Belling & Lee)<br /> L-Band (F-Connector)<br /><br />This is quite a good STB it has aspect ration control and the digital audio is pretty good for movies, its real weakness is the lack of an S-Viedo or Component o/p for the videophiles.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 22 May 2006 04:20:AM
[]This is quite a good STB it has aspect ration control and the digital audio is pretty good for movies, its real weakness is the lack of an S-Viedo or Component o/p for the videophiles. [/]<br /><br />that could be the case for your movie channels but with ubi we don't get high picture quality anyway. Composite should be more than enough for us.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 22 May 2006 04:25:AM
here is the box<br /><br />http://www.uec-technologies.com/products/DSD990.pdf
Posted By: SelecTV Re: New UBI Boxes - Mon 22 May 2006 06:58:AM
Correct, that's the one! I'm presuming that UBI will ship the OpenTV EN2 Now/Next EPG version because, as of late last year, UEC hadn't integrated their Cheetah middleware with Irdeto.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 12:34:AM
another useless feature for us. no epg data (except 2 channels) on ubi. probably not enough staff to put them in.
Posted By: SelecTV Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 07:14:AM
Can't understand why not, it's not that much work.........
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 07:22:AM
Compliling an EPG from 65 different broadcasters isn't much work?
Posted By: SelecTV Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 08:54:AM
We're doing 40 and it's a part time job ...
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 09:10:AM
Most channels you use are coming from Optus isen't it which already come with a EPG so all you would need to do is stream the EPG to PAS8 like no need for manually entering all the data ...
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 09:12:AM
40 mostly English which are already have a clear Australian EPG online.
Posted By: Engineer Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 09:41:AM
Just got the new box and was asked if I wanted to keep my mentor box. To my surprise and contrary to what Liski has been saying here, there is a clause (#4) in the acceptance form that states "If I have not returned my existing Mentor Decoder Box and Smart Card as I claim ownership of it, I accept that UBI WORLD TV may charge me a fee for the new UBI Decoder Box and Smart Card". So what is story here Liski? If this is true then what will UBI be charging?
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 09:47:AM
Engineer,<br /><br />It simply reads that since you wished to keep the MDS STB, UBI "might" charge you a fee for the UBI STB.
Posted By: Engineer Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 09:52:AM
Thanks for the quick response but I thought there was going to be no cost for the change over and that everyone had the right to keep the old box. So now there "might" be a fee??? Mind you I only found out after the second guy gave me a copy of the works order. (I have two boxes and funny enough two different UBI contractors turned up)
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:01:AM
What the hell is this secrective clause crap? This just sneaked up didn't it?<br /><br />I suggest UBI go ahead and change this before installing anymore boxes, because in the eyes of the law UBI cannot perform such 'blackmail' in a situation where I never purchased the MDS box from them, and thereby threaten to potentially charge me for a product they STILL own, due to a decision THEY chose to make.<br /><br />Any official comments will be appreciated before I further look into the legality of what UBI are trying to do here, because I'm sure the ACCC would be on the consumer's side in a case where UBI did not sell the original equipment to the end user, and have a clause to charge them money for NOTHING.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:05:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />This is a support forum. If you want please visit www.ubiworldtv.com and either email or fax your request for any official comments you require.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:10:AM
I felt this was a UBI and PBS forum based on its name. It doesn't specify support only, and as a representative of UBI I thought you may be able to shed some light on why this has not been publicly mentioned before but kept quiet, and how UBI justifies the reasoning for that clause??<br /><br />If you cannot for reasons out of your control, i.e. not permitted, fair enough and I'll contact UBI first thing in the morning.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: LAZER Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:12:AM
This forum isent official UBI forum so shouldt be treated as a 24/7 UBI call centre LOL<br /><br />Best off contacting UBI directly for full info i would say
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:12:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />How has it been kept quite if the customer must read it before signing it?<br /><br />This is an unofficial forum - I'm here out of my own time to help customers. If you wish to get more official information re the clauses please contact UBI.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:24:AM
Very well then.<br /><br />However this clause has not been made available on the UBI website, nor was it mailed out to customers, thus not keeping customers informed until the last minute, and that's if they happen to read it, and in the case of Engineer, if they happen to receive one. He said for 2 installs he only got the one.<br /><br />Might I suggest you conact your web team, and have them update the legal documentation under "T & C's"?<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:30:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />This is only stated on the Service Order which you recieve for the STB Upgrade as it's regarding the STB Upgrade.<br /><br />Engineer should've recieved one for each STB as they state the tunings, signal level and the barcode/STB IRD.
Posted By: Engineer Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:32:AM
The first contractor was in such a rush and was too busy talking on the phone. I personally installed the box myself while he filled out the form and then said here sign this as confirmation that you received the new box. As I said I only received the copy from the second contractor who even took the power lead and RCA leads as he was directed by UBI. What kind of shonky business is this? Don't worry Liski I have already made my complaint to UBI but this is a forum where all should be informed of what is happening out there. They can't even keep an appointment or get the number of boxes right.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:40:AM
LOL, well well. Funny thing too, the RCA cables I'm using are courtesy of Dick Smith Powerhouse. I wonder whether I should direct the UBI installer to them for ownership permission, if I am forced to give up my MDS box to avoid a fee that is 'blackmailed' to me, and then be asked for the cables that have never had anything to do with the former TARBS.<br /><br />Like suggested I'll call UBI first, but if I hear the same unlawful and unjustified garbage from the Customer Service team, my next call will be to the ACCC. No doubt about that. For the record I am not a pedantic person, but I will say that UBI are not doing a very good job at earning trust, and getting rid of the bad name that TARBS achieved, leaving me no choice but to NOT have very much trust in them.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:44:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />As I've said call UBI and get any official comment you wish and if your not happy then call the ACCC. I'm not sure what else I can tell you.
Posted By: Engineer Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 10:57:AM
Liski, on the this forum you clearly stated over number of times that there will be no cost associated with the swap over and everyone had the right to keep the boxes. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now my question is why did you not mention anything about a special claue in the works order. I think you have a very good career ahead of you as politician. The spin doctoring is going well. Now you are pointing people to take the matter up with UBI. Why didn't you do that when everyone here was asking about costs, old boxes etc? As my nick states I am an engineer specialiasing in electronics. So it is very easy for me to modify boxes yet in order to support UBI from day one I have been paying for two contracts at $120 a month. Is this the way UBI will repay loyalty? I think the least you can do here is come clean and inform everyone of any fees for not giving UBI what is rightfully ours.
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 11:13:AM
Engineer,<br /><br />I suggested for him to contact UBI directly as he wants an "official comment" re the clause which he can then take to the ACCC. That I can not provide.
Posted By: Engineer Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 11:21:AM
Ok then I'll ask UNOFFICIALLY, what is this fee, and any idea, again unofficially, as to the amount. Looking at the UBI website the fee schedule is current as at May 2006 and there is no mention of a special fee for the new box. It is sad that no one has been informed about this and may not be aware if they have trouble reading English. I believe you, being a UBI rep should take this matter up with management so that people are not surprised by an increase in the subscription fee.
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 12:06:PM
there will be no charge engineer. there can't be.<br /><br />don't worry about what it says there.
Posted By: apsattv Re: New UBI Boxes - Tue 23 May 2006 12:49:PM
[]What the hell is this secrective clause crap? This just sneaked up didn't it?<br /><br />I suggest UBI go ahead and change this before installing anymore boxes, because in the eyes of the law UBI cannot perform such 'blackmail' in a situation where I never purchased the MDS box from them, and thereby threaten to potentially charge me for a product they STILL own, due to a decision THEY chose to make.<br /><br />Any official comments will be appreciated before I further look into the legality of what UBI are trying to do here, because I'm sure the ACCC would be on the consumer's side in a case where UBI did not sell the original equipment to the end user, and have a clause to charge them money for NOTHING.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE [/]<br /><br /><br />Oh dear oh dear<br /><br />They want to charge you a fee BECAUSE THEY must swap out the decoder. Its not your problem if they need to change encryption. I suggest if anyone has to sign this then circle the clause and write I DO NO AGREE TO PAY ANY FEE OTHER THAN THE MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, then sign it. <br /><br />Then if they try some b.s down the track you are covered.<br /><br />mind you they might lose your form ..
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 12:34:AM
lol good idea, but how many ubi customer can write and read English do you think? smile
Posted By: TV_Nerd Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 12:40:AM
Be carefull, you are signing a written contract here, verbal assurance, no matter how loudly expressed by Mr Liski, carry no weight here - it's what is written down that matters.<br /><br />"If I have not returned my existing Mentor Decoder Box and Smart Card as I claim ownership of it, I accept that UBI WORLD TV may charge me a fee for the new UBI Decoder Box and Smart Card"<br /><br />Means that you are agreeing in advance for UBI to charge you for the STB at some time in the future at its discression. As the cost is not revealed, it can charge whatever it likes within reason. <br /><br />So, if you keep your MDS STB, UBI can charge you for the new STB whenever it wants to. Now UBI may not do this, but given the history of TARBs, nobody would be surprised to see UBI mass charge its subs for the new STB as soon as it has a cash flow issue - and there is nothing you can do about it because you have already agreed in writing.<br /><br />If UBI really meant what Mr Liski says, they would change their Terms and Conditions to reflect it. They have not - what is written matter, what is said is nothing but hot air.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 01:27:AM
Well, I just called UBI and spoke to a Customer Service Rep, who had to put me on hold to speak to a superior. (I have the reps name Liski, so if you disagree with the following, let me know and I'l;l provide the name and you can get this resolved internally)<br /><br />She said she has been told by her superior, that there are two scenarios:<br />1/ Is where you out-right own the MDS box yourself, and you have every right to keep it, and you will not be liable to the clause that states UBI may charge a fee in the future. So you do not need to sign.<br />2/ The other, is where you don't "own" the MDS box (don't see how that can be seeing as TARBS went under), and in order to keep it, it means the clause DOES apply to you, if ever it goes into effect.<br /><br />Now because this is rediculous from a legal stand point, I asked the CS rep, how can the installer possibly know, which of the scenario's truthfully applies to you. She answered that they cannot dispute your claim, i.e. the customer's word is taken on faith value, and that they cannot force you to sign anything that puts you in a position of potentially being charged a fee in the future.<br /><br />She said that when an installer arrives, if he has any issues understanding my request, or states he has been told different, I can ring UBI CCC right then and there, so they can set the record straight for me.<br />This is from a UBI CCC Rep, and the word came from their superior so I'm sticking to it. If only I could've had a recorded copy of that conversation. lol<br /><br />As far as I can see, this is going to create a real mess, because I will be keeping my box, and signing nothing, because the UBI rep just told me I can, but I have a feeling it won't go so smoothly.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: ShaRp Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:07:AM
[]2/ The other, is where you don't "own" the MDS box (don't see how that can be seeing as TARBS went under), and in order to keep it, it means the clause DOES apply to you, if ever it goes into effect.<br />[/]<br /><br />I don't believe there will be any charge but even saying what she said is utterly ridiculous.<br /><br />maybe i don't own it but they don't own it either!!!<br /><br />They wanna take something away, which they don't own!!! if not they are threatening to charge me. isn't there one single person at ubi who can see this irony?<br /><br />
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:13:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />I highly doubt UBI will ever charge a fee so I don't see what your problem is.<br /><br />The UBI would've said you can call UBI but you "MUST" sign the Service Order - if not the UBI STB will not be given to you.
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:28:AM
Liski,<br /><br />I have typed word for word what was told of me. I have not added or modified anything.<br /><br />For the record I have no problem. If you cannot see that legally by signing that form, I am legally allowing UBI to charge me a fee later in time, that they do not deserve to charge me, seeing as they own the new box, then I really suggest you improve your knowledge of the law.<br /><br />That document with my signature holds up in court for UBI's side of things. On this unofficial forum, as you put it, an opinion from yourself "I highly doubt UBI will ever charge a fee" does NOT stand up in the eyes of the law for my side. It's simply an unofficial opinion from yourself.<br /><br />So hopefully you see my dilemma and the dilemma of others here, and NOT my problem. In answer to your opinion, if UBI have no plan to charge a fee, why in the world would they ever put that line in there?<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:31:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />PM me the name of UBI rep and I will look into it myself.<br /><br />If you do not sign the Service Order then you will not get the upgrade - simple!<br /><br />If you don't like my unofficial opinion then I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore on this issue or any other issue for that matter - if you need assistance please call UBI directly.<br /><br /><br />Regards,<br />Liski
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:38:AM
Liski,<br /><br />This may be an unofficial UBI forum, but your conduct here in unacceptable as a representative of your company.<br /><br />You speak to a customer who's subscription pays your wage in a manner of great dis-respect, when I have not spoken to you in such a way, and furthermore cut me off from support of any other furture non-related issues, simply because I did as you asked, which was to get an official word from the company, which I did.<br /><br />This is what they told me. If this is incorrect, that is not my fault. I am only a customer trying to ascertain the facts. If this is different from what you have been told I suggest you speak to the CCC team and their superiors because unless I receive an apology from you, I will not be of any further assiatance in your witch hunt of a CCC rep. This girl put me on hold and the information came from a superior, the rep didn't just pull anything out of the top of her head.<br /><br />I do not feel you have any right to speak to me in such a manner, when as I customer I am being jerked around by conflicting information.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:50:AM
RATLSNAKE,<br /><br />I don't want to bother with this issue any longer. I'm not going to say sorry as most of your posts mention ACCC - I'm here out of my time trying to help I don't need people threatening me or UBI in their posts.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Liski
Posted By: RATLSNAKE Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 02:58:AM
Liski,<br /><br />If UBI did not follow in the footsteps of the former TARBS business-practice-wise, then they would be no concern for someone like the ACCC. How you see this is as a threat I do not understand, because as a consumer or any product or service in this country it is my right, like everyone's, to contact the ACCC is the need arises.<br /><br />I'll leave the conversation here, because as far as I'm concerned, this time could be better spent by you, working with the company to fix this issue before it becomes a bigger issue, as more and more people are brought onto the new system.<br /><br />RATLSNAKE
Posted By: Liski Re: New UBI Boxes - Wed 24 May 2006 03:04:AM
Topic Closed
© AUS-CITY Message Forums