AUS-CITY
Posted By: Schlemiel Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 11:04:PM
Recent rains, and a lack of proactivity on my part, has seen this horrible weed totally infest my paddock. It's higher than the bottom of the Xantia's windscreen in places (and that's with the suspension up).

Capping it off (and the stuff is everywhere at present) this stuff is a massive hayfever-causing agent.

Given that it's just flowered - and obviously has millions of viable seeds - I've got my work cut out for me. It's been a real slap in the face for someone with a city bred outlook.
Posted By: VWM Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 11:31:PM
dont let any horses eat it, it will kill them.
Posted By: sunshine77 Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 11:43:PM
Oh Dear is all I can say. An army of friends to pull it out by the tap roots and then a bonfire would be ideal, not that I really know. Better to get it before it seeds.

I'm sure you would have done your googling already but for FWIW....

http://www.northwestweeds.nsw.gov.au/patersons_curse.htm

ambulance ambulance ambulance
Posted By: UFO Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 11:58:PM
Cut it all, tie it into bunches, load it on a truck and drive to Sydney and sell it to unsuspecting passers by as "Macquarie Bluebells". A couple of blokes from Dubbo did it years ago and made a packet.

Mind you it probably did nothing to prevent the spread of PC.
Posted By: Armidillo Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 12:09:AM
Slash it - you're sure to find a local farmer/subcontractor with a tractor & slasher looking for extra cash (although they are probably all busy ATM).

BTW, why are you all back here? is the AF dead again?
Posted By: pug206gti Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 12:38:AM
Originally Posted by sunshine77
Oh Dear is all I can say. An army of friends to pull it out by the tap roots and then a bonfire would be ideal, not that I really know. Better to get it before it seeds.

g'day,
this may be an opportunity for a club run.

regards

Posted By: Schlemiel Club Run? - Sat 30 Oct 2010 12:57:AM
There'd be a lot of nose runs! It's sneezy stuff.

If there were ten people, each would have to weed about a quarter acre by hand. That's pretty hardcore...
Posted By: jp Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 01:58:AM
Originally Posted by pug206gti
Originally Posted by sunshine77

g'day,
this may be an opportunity for a club run.

regards

I'll give that club a run, and bash the bejesus out of the brown snake if it shows its ugly head again.
Best make it it a good club, a really long one with a sharp end.
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 02:10:AM
one of those clubs that go "BANG" eh Jo? hehehe
Posted By: Fento Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 03:45:AM
Is this the same stuff that is known in South Aussie as Salvation Jane?

Curious Fento
Posted By: sunshine77 Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 03:54:AM
Yes it is called that too

Posted By: Fento Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 03:31:PM
A curse in one state, salvation in another - -

Tends to support the theory that the eastern states are more livable than others.

Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 04:31:PM
Originally Posted by Armidillo
BTW, why are you all back here? is the AF dead again?

Welcome to The Hotel California.

clink

Mike.
Posted By: MelbMan Re: Paterson's Curse... Oh Dear! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 11:56:PM
Yes the old Pattersons curse is either a declared or prohibited seed to sell in most states (as a contaminant in other seed crops). In my limited experience NSW seems to be infested in certain areas! A drive from Melbourne to Griffith gets very colourful once you cross the border heading north. sneaking
© AUS-CITY Message Forums