NATO Secretary General congratulates the people of Ukraine on parliamentary elections
I congratulate the people of Ukraine for exercising their right to vote in largely peaceful parliamentary elections. As stated by international observers, despite difficult conditions, the elections were in line with international standards.

The large majority of the people of Ukraine have clearly and democratically spoken in favour of an ambitious reform agenda and a European path. I welcome their determination to further promote an inclusive political process based on democratic values and respect for human rights, minorities and the rule of law.

This would help further prospects for a peaceful resolution of the conflict in Ukraine.

I strongly regret, however, that many Ukrainians were unable to exercise their democratic right to vote in Crimea, which Russia illegally and illegitimately annexed in March, and in parts of Eastern Ukraine, where violence and intimidation of voters by Russian-backed separatists continued, in clear violation of the agreements co-signed in Minsk in September.

NATO continues to support Ukraine’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity within its internationally recognised borders.

An independent, sovereign and stable Ukraine, firmly committed to democracy and the rule of law is key to Euro-Atlantic security.

I look forward to working closely with President Poroshenko, the new parliament and government to further our long-standing and distinctive partnership. The Alliance remains committed to supporting Ukraine in its wide-ranging reforms within the framework of the NATO-Ukraine Commission.

David Cottle

UBB Owner & Administrator