AUS-CITY
Posted By: Webmaster aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 12:40:PM
The aussiefrogs.com server suffered a serious crash and thus far we are still trying recover the server.

aus-city.com is taking all the web traffic for aussiefrogs.com until its resolved.

If its going to continue for a while we can setup some forums here for aussiefrogs until its resolved.
Posted By: GreenBlood Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 08:22:PM
Originally Posted by Webmaster
The aussiefrogs.com server suffered a serious crash and thus far we are still trying recover the server.

aus-city.com is taking all the web traffic for aussiefrogs.com until its resolved.

If its going to continue for a while we can setup some forums here for aussiefrogs until its resolved.

Firstly, Thank you David for sharing your space...

Just a note to our Aussiefrog members, as has been noted we have a serious glitch. Everything that can be done to remedy the situation is being done, fingers crossed we will be back (one way or another) soon.

Cheers
Chris
Posted By: Webmaster Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 08:30:PM
Absolutely, everything is being done rest assured!

I am going to set up some AF specific forums in their own AF category and kick AF right into there.

That will help. I know its a pain having to re-register. All I could think of doing is offering aus-city.com since it is operational, handy and working as at least a means members can get together.

I will have to set up some moderators. Anyone needing help, please email me directly:

webmaster@aus-city.com

I am working to get AF back in every way possible.

Its certainly tested me for emergency measures of handing DNS / email as well as http redirects and requests!
Posted By: Clogzz Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 08:52:PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 09:25:PM
I strongly recommend against any form of work to get a pseudo AF operational. It would be better to get the issue fixed rather than hive off separate conversations. I think the Aussie French car community can survive a couple of days without our regular fixes.

Perhaps in the meantime we should go and care for our cars?
Posted By: Hotrodelectric Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 09:57:PM
First of all, a very large thank you to David Cottle and Aus-City for pulling us from the wreckage of a crash and burn, so to speak. Second, I see UFO's point, but I rather think the realization has been made that the server gods need to be appeased every so often. In the meantime, we will get by. Third, this looks like a pretty neat site. I'm going to have to poke around a bit.
Posted By: Webmaster Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 10:26:PM
For now, I have opened a general AF discussion forum.

http://www.aus-city.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=60&page=1

I will post any news as it comes to hand.
Posted By: vivid Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 10:44:PM
Just found you, thanks guys.

Anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm pretty at home with bash scripting etc, if we need to repair databases etc etc...

Good luck!

David. (Moderator, Renault forum, Aussiefrogs.)
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 10:50:PM
Thanks Dave for doing this.

Well folks it's official, all our data is lost. One click on the account auto / manual renew on the godaddy site admin & the whole server & FTP backup has been deleted instantly. They must have a link problem on their page.

I will commence creating a new forum tonight.

Also thinking I will be going down the litigation path with godaddy so if anyone has experience with going up against American firms please get in contact.

I am so sorry about this. I've been physically ill today & no sleep last night, same expected tonight at least...
Posted By: ARCHRIVAL Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 11:00:PM
Bloody computers do not fret GIB GIB all will fall into place the data base must be backed up somewhere.
My battery terminals are so shiney I can see my face in them bwave
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 11:28:PM
Surely Gerry, there is some form of un delete utility ?

I just makes one realise how vulnerable data on HDD!

Gerry I read your post completely about being physically ill. Mate it's not worth it - feeling that way is no help to you or any AFers.

Life goes on - accidents happen- nobody is hurt or injured - it's sad but recoverable with the help of the members.

At the moment the situation looks hopeless. But hopefully GO Daddy will try to assist with recovery if humanly possible.

Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Wed 20 Oct 2010 11:35:PM
Thanks to all involved in attempting to get AF back on our feet.

GG if there's anything I can do let me know.

I went out to check on the French cars I so often write about and to my horror see they have all rusted to nothing...

I gotta get out more often.

Peter
Posted By: sunshine77 Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 01:12:AM
Hello all, I'm Kaye from aussiefrogs. Tired of my old pen name (okalford) I joined up with sunshine77, being such a sunny perfect day, weather-wise at least.

I am very sorry to hear about the data loss and only hope there may be better news for some retrieval. You still have a lot of the resources, the good people of AF to help build the new board. Some may have saved some of their posts. All cannot be lost.

And thanks also to the people that have made sharing here possible, an interesting forum with some good topics.
Posted By: mlb Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 02:26:AM
So sorry to hear about this, Gerry. You have my sympathies for all you're going through.

Thanks to David for allowing us to use this forum as an interim measure for us 'refugees'.

Hopefully it can be recovered, but if not then it will mean we will just have to go out and work on our cars so we can post the details and rebuild the site.

I'm pretty sure that if it came down to having to pay for professional data recovery, a lot of us here would be willing to chip in to help.

Good luck with it all. I know you're doing all you can.

Matt
Posted By: xTc Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 03:46:AM
Originally Posted by gibgib
Well folks it's official, all our data is lost. One click on the account auto / manual renew on the godaddy site admin & the whole server & FTP backup has been deleted instantly. They must have a link problem on their page.

WOW ... I know how you feel GG, as it reminds me of an incident at work when 3 months of data got corrupted (hardware fault) .. trouble was the backups were corrupted as well (they were just backing up corrupt data - garbage in garbage out) .... a week 24/7 to rebuild the data (by replaying all the messages) - a lot of overtime, a lot of overnight work.

Be sad to see the "knowledge" lost, but some may say it was time to clean shop as a S/N ratio was getting higher.

At least there will be more cars / partners getting attention this weekend. Maybe a big new batch of froglets will arrive in July 2011. LOL

Best of luck re: recovery, we'll all live.

XTC

Posted By: fnqvmuch Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 04:46:AM
same sentiments here gib-gib, and - i for one welcome our new masters, etc
btw this may be of interest - from another place i frequented until recently ;

" Hello from AutoPuzzles!

As you have no doubt noticed, the AutoPuzzles forum is down. GoDaddy, the hosting service, has, without warning, put a CPU-usage limit in place, which our volume of image files has overwhelmed. This was not an issue before the migrated us to the new server in the past few days (their idea, not ours).

Charlie (Ultra) is working to get the site moved to a new hosting company, but this will take time. The Forums may be back online as soon as today. Charlie asks that inquiries be directed to me (e-mail below), as the database backup and rebuilding take a lot of time and concentration. We ask for two favors from you:

Please share this message with any AutoPuzzles members with whom you correspond.
Please watch this page for updates.
We appreciate your patronage and membership at the AutoPuzzles site, and look forward to seeing you all again in the near future.

Otto Puzzell

Karn.Utz@gmail.com "

( why couldn't this happen to something useless like faecebook, instead ?)
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 11:01:AM
Originally Posted by sunshine77
Hello all, I'm Kaye from aussiefrogs. Tired of my old pen name (okalford) I joined up with sunshine77, being such a sunny perfect day, weather-wise at least.

I am very sorry to hear about the data loss and only hope there may be better news for some retrieval. You still have a lot of the resources, the good people of AF to help build the new board. Some may have saved some of their posts. All cannot be lost.

And thanks also to the people that have made sharing here possible, an interesting forum with some good topics.

Hi Kaye, Rob, UFO, Greenblood, gibgib, and whatsisname, errm, Workshy B'stard I think he called himself, and the rest of you criminals. The lengths some folk will go to, to shake off us pesky poms never ceases to amaze. Anyway, no prizes for guessing who I am.

Bugger. I'd just bought some nice new suspendies for the goldfroggers ball!

Easy to say from where I'm sitting Gerry, but try not to let it get you down. Like Robmac says, t'aint like anyones been hurt.

And thanks to whoever's in charge of this place. I must admit I haven't a bloody clue where I am.

Maybe we should run a book on who'll get the first deleted post.

Cheers,

Mike.
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 11:12:AM
Thanks Mike,

It's good to lighten up a bit after reality has hit.

To other 'Frggers suggest we post here: http://www.aus-city.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=60&page=1

To avoid clogging the general section of Host Forum with our stuff...

cheers

Rob
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 11:31:AM
Firstly, thanks Dave for your quazie hosting of AF>
Gerry, don't stress mate, it's all good and as the others have mentioned, please don't let this get you physically down.It's a shame the vast knowledge base built over the years and hopefully there is something that can be done to reclaim some of it.
We're all behind you in your efforts to get the forum back and running and I am sure whatever action or direction you have to take, we'll all be satisfied with the outcome.
Geez GB, you probably don't need this hassle either on top of shifting business premises.
Good luck to all involved and a big thank-you from me.
Posted By: George_1_8th Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 01:02:PM
Damn Hard drives....once they crash it's anybody's guess if anything can be recovered.
My back up drive crashed and I only lost all of the things I wanted to keep.
DVD back up is the way to go...

Thanks everyone for all your efforts to keep the Frogger site happening.

Cheers....George 1/8th

(PS...GEEZ this site was pedantic about the registration process...it took me about 10 goes to register...I nearly chucked it in...)
Posted By: pugrambo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 01:52:PM
i won't repeat what i sent to Chris yesterday when i found out but even that was the tame version of what i was thinking

i was all excited after the weekend as i did some more work to the 604 and it's getting closer to hitting the road again

i had /have pics ready to go and then nothing

i had the same feeling a few weeks ago when i went to the fridge to grab a beer and there were none left
Posted By: GreenBlood Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 02:30:PM
Originally Posted by pugrambo
i won't repeat what i sent to Chris yesterday when i found out but even that was the tame version of what i was thinking

i was all excited after the weekend as i did some more work to the 604 and it's getting closer to hitting the road again

i had /have pics ready to go and then nothing

i had the same feeling a few weeks ago when i went to the fridge to grab a beer and there were none left

haha, your text was mild compared to some of the expletives that went through my head... what can ya' do!! - if we all search our own hard drives etc. with the view to rebuilding the lost years, AF can and will survive, our membership will see to that.

It's not looking good, Go-Daddy are not at all sympathetic to our plight, several phone calls and emails are hitting a brick wall. We are searching for the most recent backup we have that will form the basis of the rebuild. At best it looks like we have lost at least 4 years of data (at best!!).

...more later

Cheers
Chris

Posted By: Zenimagination Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 02:36:PM
Hi All

There's a copy here:
Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.aussiefrogs.com/

It may not be complete but it goes back as far as 18AUG2000

Good luck!
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 03:02:PM
The blog site belonging to godaddy owner Bob Parsons. Care to leave a comment on it?

http://www.bobparsons.me/index.php
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 03:03:PM
to quote the site

Throughout his entrepreneurial career, Parsons' business philosophy has been to create low-priced, feature-rich products combined with the highest levels of customer service.
Posted By: pugrambo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 03:21:PM
Originally Posted by UFO
to quote the site

Throughout his entrepreneurial career, Parsons' business philosophy has been to create low-priced, feature-rich products combined with the highest levels of customer service.

ok let's bend him over and shove a floppygo up there

that should show him our appreciation of his customer service

also no loss of any quality being the loss of a floppygo laugh
Posted By: pugrambo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 03:24:PM
ok

had a quick look at his site

she's a bit of alright but he's a tosser
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 03:49:PM
Might get the AF data back before we insert the floppy though.
Posted By: GreenBlood Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 05:08:PM
Originally Posted by UFO
Might get the AF data back before we insert the floppy though.

...ahhh, humour, teehee

Thanks for lightening the mood Craig, sheesh we need it alcohol

Cheers
Chris
Posted By: Webmaster Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 05:08:PM
Godaddy their customer support is just crap! When I had my dedicated server there, any damn issue had to go to advanced support.

I ended up becoming a expert in redhat / centos / fedora due to the crap support. I pulled the plug there 4 years ago.

This server is located right near me. I maintain it myself both physically and software, even build own packages.

Godaddy just lost the plot, just like trying to get Telstra to do anything that is outside the box, problem is godaddy the box is a point!

I never heard of a system that deletes everything including the seperate backup server due to a billing preference change.

My tanglement with godaddy resolved around a firewall, that I found only allowed 10 consecutive IPs to be used at once, the server had 20. I fought as it did not say this (does now thanks to me) but they had to get cisco to expand it. Other silly issues here and there - so I left.

Crazy thing is, I was going to setup a rsync from AF to my server, and do a monthly sync. If it was done it could have been restored to a monthly backup point.

Just I had so much on it was set for this week coming frown
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 05:42:PM
Do you think we should put posts on his blog site to see if we can attract some attention?
Posted By: IndianaCitroen Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 07:16:PM
Nobody tell Shane we're here, I think he overloaded the server smile

Stu
Posted By: pugrambo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 07:54:PM
just let Shane fix it

he fixes everything else he touches :P
Posted By: Hotrodelectric Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 08:18:PM
So. Does this mean that the shiny new, sooper-sekrit Gold Frogger forum has been postponed? pillowfight
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 08:37:PM
oh how exciting! no doubt the site history can be recovered from one of those archive-the-whole-internet things, as was referred to in an earlier post. even if not, however, it doesnt really matter; have years of old posts is like having a history of your own emails - it is comforting to know it is there, but it is rarely looked at.

you cant relive history by having a record of it.

alexander.
Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 09:28:PM

Okay, okay I give up. What WAS this gold forum?

I know, if I have to ask I shouldn't know... But to all intents and purposes AF has ceased to exist - well for the time being anyway - so you can tell me!

Please!!!

Where was it and what was its purpose?

EX

Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 11:28:PM
Originally Posted by Exfrogger

Okay, okay I give up. What WAS this gold forum?

I know, if I have to ask I shouldn't know... But to all intents and purposes AF has ceased to exist - well for the time being anyway - so you can tell me!

Please!!!

Where was it and what was its purpose?

EX

Hey Pete,
Think it was Di musing or smoozing maybe after a night on the red? teehee I'm with you, lets just hope Gerry and co can resuscitate the A/F we all knew.
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Thu 21 Oct 2010 11:37:PM
I wonder how much of Forum could recovered from Goggle Cache?

Do Google have back ups of previous expired caches?

Some of these Companies that give hit stats must have some form of back-up

Clutching at straws a bit, but I'll put into the cooking pot.

Posted By: VWM Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 12:12:AM
Yay I found you all!!!
I was having serious withdrawals!!!
Let hope we can get some data back.
At least the Renault forum anyway!!
viragewagonman
Posted By: jp Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 12:29:AM
Bummer about the site going down.
Good luck with getting it back online guys.

My fuego is fully finished and back on the road after the accident.
It looks great too, even if I say so myself.
I've landed a spare in the mean time, Pugrambo, do ya want it??

Jp
Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 12:47:AM
Originally Posted by jp

Jp

AF in tatters but some things never change.

Onya mate.

P
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 01:09:AM
Originally Posted by alexander
oh how exciting! no doubt the site history can be recovered from one of those archive-the-whole-internet things, as was referred to in an earlier post. even if not, however, it doesnt really matter; have years of old posts is like having a history of your own emails - it is comforting to know it is there, but it is rarely looked at.

alexander.

And more than 10 years of collected knowledge relating to the repair and running of French cars. Na, nothing we can't rebuild. Now we'll just see how we can go with resurrections - so that we can regain the knowledge from those who have left us in the past couple of years.

The information on AF was searchable and was used and quoted by people around the world.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:04:AM
UFO, i know its a downer and a complete bitch, but the above is about having a particular attitude to life.

if, perhaps, AF could never be recovered, then as anyone's problems and queries arise, they will be answered again in due course, as they were before. there is nothing which has been lost but the searchability.
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:11:AM
Originally Posted by UFO

alexander.

And more than 10 years of collected knowledge relating to the repair and running of French cars. Na, nothing we can't rebuild. Now we'll just see how we can go with resurrections - so that we can regain the knowledge from those who have left us in the past couple of years.

The information on AF was searchable and was used and quoted by people around the world.

So true. I would love to be able to just search for AlanS's posts about repacking the bearings in the XU engine tensioners sad
Hahaha, he'd have had a ball with the smiley vampire happyrun page, WOW it's just awesome.
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:18:AM
Some of these would just suit AF down to the ground...... l_sabre offtopic standoff flamewar This one is so right now for us. overact
Posted By: vivid Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:54:AM
latest I can see on wayback (Jul 30, 2008)

http://web.archive.org/web/20080729233139/www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php

What is there...
http://web.archive.org/web/*sa_/http://www.aussiefrogs.com
Posted By: ntreno Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 04:07:AM
Sorry to hear about the computer glitch.
Was go daddy reviewing posts and decided to help aussiefrogs change servers - remember the second gunman on the grassy knoll!!

Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 05:23:AM

If we've got to rebuild the site, regain what we've lost, does that mean Ray Bell comes back...
Posted By: gamma Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 08:52:AM
Another day without AF crying
Can someone PM me about front discs for a 307...are the 2001 to 2003/4 discs the same and is there a cheap australian supplier??? bond

Guys, let's support each other through this time of pain... grouphug
bottled dancingcow grouphug2

Love the smilies.... dino
Posted By: gerry_f Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 09:03:AM
Sad, but in line with the laws of nature which say that the reliability of backups is inversely proportional to their value.

Meanwhile, cheer yourselves up by looking again at some of the interesting cars I see on our French excursions.
go to
http://apaca.eu
and click on "Sorties" and "Albums"
if it hasn't crashed.

I was hoping to refer back to my postings over the years to write a chronicle on the evolution of the auto industry but then I have more exciting things to do.

Gerry, if you ever get the data back I will shout you a bottle of Champers, if not I will still pat you on the back (metaphorically, as my arms aren't that long) for having given us such a valuable forum for so long.
Posted By: kevlights Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 09:47:AM
sunshine
Know what you mean, about The Knowledge of posts like Alan S, I have come to rely on them as a fund of info, being new to Xantias and having limited experience with motors. I find the history of back posts a gold mine of resources.

On a different note ,For the GTi BX ,we managed to get the tensioner on the alternator belt, to stop rumbling(could not get a replacement) by gently heating it on a hot plate and packing it with teflon grease,this is expensive stuff ($1k for a small tub)but we manged to scrounge some from an engineering firm, thanks Parr and Co.

Teflon grease is a white high pressure ,high viscosity

the bearing is offset from the tensioner bracket and tends to twist when worn,crap design ,but Via la difference,tis French.
Posted By: pugrambo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:26:AM
Originally Posted by jp
Bummer about the site going down.
Good luck with getting it back online guys.

My fuego is fully finished and back on the road after the accident.
It looks great too, even if I say so myself.

Jp

yeah Jo

you know how much i love floppygo's

so much so i think i have found their usefulness after all these years

read previous post laugh
Posted By: pugrambo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:32:AM
Originally Posted by Exfrogger

If we've got to rebuild the site, regain what we've lost, does that mean Ray Bell comes back...

please we are in enough pain already without adding that to it

hey Jo i think i might have found a 2nd use for a floppygo

starting to realise their potential now :P
Posted By: pug206gti Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:11:PM
G'day,

this is a bit confusing

regards

Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:16:PM
let me address your confusion: all the files which make up the AF website have been deleted by the host. and the backup. lord knows how they managed that, but voila. you are now looking at a site to where the AF IP address has been directed. you log in here with any name you choose, but obviously sensible people will use the same username as they had with AF. mind you, mischevious types might, for instance, choose a user name of someone that irritated them, but i would not support such a thing personally. honestly. now you have chosen a username here, you can chat just like on AF with many of the same people, until the good old AF is back up and running, which it will be in due course. in the meantime it is a bit like being a displaced person after a war. and this is the contact pinboard. or to look at it another way, imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area.

Posted By: AlastairBrowne Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:12:PM
Thanks, guys, for doing all you can to resurrect the site. Our thoughts are with you 'cos we are mortified at the loss and can't wait to get our own aussifrogs back again.

In the meantime in aussieflog I had advertised my Marlin Berlinetta. The car is now sold after over 15,000 hits on the ad - amazing. It will be running around the Punchbowl area in Sydney and the fellow is v youthful so don't think I have had a facelift - not yet!

Best wishes to all our technical gurus and readers

Alastair
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 07:11:PM
That's great Alistair.

"imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area."
alexander, that's just so true. Imagine it though, all these mostly 35-45 year old french car fans walking around looking lost
Posted By: neural_revolt Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 07:51:PM
See Alistair,
There just had to be someone out there who loves old orphan British kit cars (besides yourself)!
Mal
Posted By: Ron_Rundle Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:49:PM
imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area.

[/quote]

le cité des enfants perdue?

Mon dieu, this is serious.
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:05:AM
....you choose, but obviously sensible people will use the same username as they had with AF. mind you, mischevious types might, for instance, choose a user name of someone that irritated them, but i would not support such a thing personally. honestly.

I'm not entirely sure you're you. I've consulted a handwriting expert .................

clink

Mike.
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:20:AM
Just an update.

I am quietly confident about a backup of the database from March 2006. I know it's a while ago but it may be all we have unfortunately.

You'd never expect a fail safe service of every day & 7 days worth of backups with godaddy to have any fear of deletion. It's just terrible what has happened.

The copy of the database is on the new server but David needs to pull it back down as there is no shell access to restore it remotely. Hopefully this time tomorrow we will at least have our familiar site back. Mistareno has all the theme & graphics so we can get the same look.

I will post the direct link to the site once is ready so we don't have to wait for DNS.

With the 4.5 years gap perhaps we should archive what's there & start again?
Or just continue with AF 2?
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:57:AM
Gibgib,

Reading around godaddy has this to people before. They also managed to get the data back.

You are doubtless in a better position to know, but is absolutely definite all is lost ?

Thanks

Rob
Posted By: mistareno Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:17:AM
G'day,

I had a rather bad feeling that all might be lost the other day when you explained what happened.

I'm still suprised they don't have a seperate external monthly dump of the databases, but anyhow...

Just let me know when you're right to go with the forum and I will FTP the images into the correct folders and upload the template file.

Should be only 30 minutes work from my end...famous last words.

Let me know the FTP details by email.

I'm home tomorrow night and should be able to do it then if things are right to go at your end.

Did you have any luck looking through the browser history? Does it look like an incorrect button link on the godaddy page as discussed?

Just an update.

I am quietly confident about a backup of the database from March 2006. I know it's a while ago but it may be all we have unfortunately.

You'd never expect a fail safe service of every day & 7 days worth of backups with godaddy to have any fear of deletion. It's just terrible what has happened.

The copy of the database is on the new server but David needs to pull it back down as there is no shell access to restore it remotely. Hopefully this time tomorrow we will at least have our familiar site back. Mistareno has all the theme & graphics so we can get the same look.

I will post the direct link to the site once is ready so we don't have to wait for DNS.

Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:24:AM
Originally Posted by mistareno
G'day,

I had a rather bad feeling that all might be lost the other day when you explained what happened.

I'm still suprised they don't have a seperate external monthly dump of the databases, but anyhow...

Just let me know when you're right to go with the forum and I will FTP the images into the correct folders and upload the template file.

Should be only 30 minutes work from my end...famous last words.

Let me know the FTP details by email.

I'm home tomorrow night and should be able to do it then if things are right to go at your end.

Did you have any luck looking through the browser history? Does it look like an incorrect button link on the godaddy page as discussed?

Just an update.

I had a look at browser history in Firefox. It doesn't state the date & time or anything but I did a screen grab of the entries & URL's in case I need them in court.

Is there a way to get the times? & even the web page cached on this machine?

I see you are still online so will flick you an email now. The forum won't work yet as there is no DB attached.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:30:AM
Originally Posted by Ron_Rundle
imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area.

le cité des enfants perdue?

Mon dieu, this is serious.

yes, it is serious. our dreams have been stolen, and only Gerry can rescue us!
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:30:AM
Originally Posted by robmac
Gibgib,

Reading around godaddy has this to people before. They also managed to get the data back.

You are doubtless in a better position to know, but is absolutely definite all is lost ?

Thanks

Rob

They got it back?
How?

Where did you find the info on this?

We have been told I think it's 5 times now in separate communications on the phone & 5 times on email that the data was deleted the instant the account was supposedly deleted, including the separate expensive different machine with 7 days of back ups & all.
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:35:AM
FYI this is what was paid for only last Tuesday the 19th:

Product Name Unit Price Qty Total Price
Dedicated Server - Renewal (monthly) $79.99 1 $79.99
Billing for 10/19/2010. aussiefrogs
Dedicated RAM Upgrade (to 2GB Server Total) - Ren... $16.99 1 $16.99
Parallels Plesk Panel (30 Domain Pack) - Dedicate... $19.99 1 $19.99
Disk Space Upgrade (300GB) - 1st Drive - Renewal... $19.99 1 $19.99
Processor Upgrade (Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz) - Renewal... $29.99 1 $29.99
Parallels Plesk Panel Pack Deluxe - Dedicated Ser... $4.99 1 $4.99
300 GB FTP Backup - Renewal (monthly) $29.99 1 $29.99
Bandwidth Renewal (recurring) $0.00 1 $0.00
Bandwidth/DiskSpace for 10/19/2010. aussiefrogs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal: $201.93
Tax: $0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: $201.93

Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:36:AM
note that Vivid said he could see an archive of the site as of March 2008. it is one of the earlier posts from today. post #50352
Posted By: sunshine77 Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 02:18:AM

-----------

FWIW Just a thought, and I could be way off here as it may well be a grey area but I wonder if this (regarding Godaddy) might be something the Telecommunications Ombudsman would deal with?

http://www.tio.com.au/consumerInfo.htm

If not the Department of Consumer Affairs?

*2cents*
Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 02:50:AM
Originally Posted by sunshine77

-----------

FWIW Just a thought, and I could be way off here as it may well be a grey area but I wonder if this might be something the Telecommunications Ombudsman would deal with?

http://www.tio.com.au/consumerInfo.htm

If not the Department of Consumer Affairs?

*2cents*

Kaye,

Pretty sure the TIO and CA jurisdiction ends at the shoreline. Godaddy is a USA mob
Posted By: sunshine77 Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 03:03:AM
Originally Posted by UFO

Kaye,

Pretty sure the TIO and CA jurisdiction ends at the shoreline. Godaddy is a USA mob

You may well be right Craig though none, if any, of our telcos are 100% Aussie owned. I wonder how that works.

Anyway, just throwing in the suggestion for FWIW.
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 03:11:AM
Originally Posted by UFO
mob

Excellent description. Unfortunately.

clink

Mike.
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:04:AM
Hi Gibgib,

I sent an email to Shane, he was going send you a copy via Facebook.

There was some some dude who changed payment types and lost the the lot. GD managed to get it back for him.

Trawling GD support comments via google, I can glean persistence is the key to success.

You need to keep escalating you issues.

I'll try to find the link and post it here, but it's a few days ago now.

cheers

Rob
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:44:AM
Hi Rob,

I saw that one. That's a different thing as it was only a domain name & no data involved. It would have remain parked with godaddy but they were initially unaware or unwilling to tie it back to the customer's account.
Posted By: australdi Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:04:PM
. mind you, mischevious types might, for instance, choose a user name of someone that irritated them, but i would not support such a thing personally. honestly.

If I catch anybody impersonating me I'll be absolutely livid.
Posted By: Robjer Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:06:PM
bloody hell

somebody call somebody
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:35:PM
Di if you want to impersonate someone you are welcome to my green bikini and skimpy bra - but it might send Mike over the top laughing
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:41:PM
Originally Posted by australdi

If I catch anybody impersonating me I'll be absolutely livid.

wait a moment, that doesnt sound like the thing the real Di would say...
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 02:06:PM
I'm calling shenanigins. Addo hasn't registered yet?

clink

Mike.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 04:05:PM
Originally Posted by Mimis_dad
I'm calling shenanigins. Addo hasn't registered yet?

clink

Mike.

mike, i think you have hit a bullseye with the first shot.
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 04:44:PM
Bummer....they only got one post in...maybe I just should have lurked for a couple of days to see what mayhem they created.
and such a benign post at that too! (think I got off very lightly!...no where near as bad as impersonation of Sanks!)

Thanks for the offer of a bikini Rob...but it's still a bit too cold down here for that. snow
Posted By: figs Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 06:29:PM
suppose it wouldn't be a proper French car forum if it didn't break down... bricks
Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 06:35:PM
Originally Posted by Australdi_real

Thanks for the offer of a bikini Rob...but it's still a bit too cold down here for that. snow

We don't mind, honest.

Posted By: UFO Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 07:43:PM
Perhaps it is time we took our so called "shenanigans" off the AF area and leave the poor innocents out of it.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 08:04:PM
Bummer....they only got one post in...maybe I just should have lurked for a couple of days to see what mayhem they created.
and such a benign post at that too! (think I got off very lightly!...no where near as bad as impersonation of Sanks!)

Di, it is interesting that the language of the above post is enough to show that Australdi_real REALLY is you, and the few words from australdi were enough to be at least very suspicious that it wasnt. funny how one's online persona can be so readily read. now, for my part, i have little doubt as the true identity of australdi, as posted. the subtlety of the humour is a dead give away, and i feel sure that one post is the only one we will see. despite my somewhat earlier post heralding such a thing, and perhaps planting the bad seed in an evil mind, it was not me! i am happy to just be me, hence my username. smile
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 09:11:PM

Di, it is interesting that the language of the above post is enough to show that Australdi_real REALLY is you, and the few words from australdi were enough to be at least very suspicious that it wasnt. funny how one's online persona can be so readily read. now, for my part, i have little doubt as the true identity of australdi, as posted. the subtlety of the humour is a dead give away, and i feel sure that one post is the only one we will see. despite my somewhat earlier post heralding such a thing, and perhaps planting the bad seed in an evil mind, it was not me! i am happy to just be me, hence my username. smile

Yup, the syntax and word choice was all wrong (especially in the shout box). I'm still kicking myself for making a too soon appearance though...it could have been hilarious watching from the roof space. hehe hey
*wistful sigh* I do hope the recovery goes well because it would be such a shame to lose the virtuoso impersonation of purrrgeot...now THAT was getting the walk & the talk spot on! Classic AF moments!
camera2
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 10:24:PM

Sorry you turned it down- here is a model wearing one so we can you see how it would look:

mermaid dino

I can't wait to see what Mike says!
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:42:PM
hmmm...if the bikini was on the Rex...it would give me a more realistic impression of how I'd look in it. laugh
Posted By: australdi Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:55:PM
hmmm...if the bikini was on the Rex...it would give me a more realistic impression of how I'd look in it. laugh

You should've stuck with the pilates, lady.

teen
Posted By: Schlemiel Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 12:06:AM
LOL, the superhero vs their evil impersonator.
Posted By: RonB Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 12:30:AM
Bloody hell - dino gets his own dinosaur dino - Craig K gets a forum/sub-forum named after him and saucer ufo and another one that I can't find now, kenfeugo is due here any time and we all know the length of his posts writing2 soapbox next thing Patrick/Jess will find us and we will have an Expert At All Things forum.
They also knew that gibgib (G_O_D to most us mere mortals) was coming here and that his mood would be gloom gloom Although looking around the site we may be in a place that considers a supreme being anything but that.
I've got a half written email to Mark Butler that i must finish and when he gets into this place god help us - he will use all of the little whatsits in every email. (BTW Mark's wife is not travelling too well and MB is suffering under the load of caring for her - those that have his contact pls drop him a line - or if you'd like to get his email address PM me)
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 12:41:AM
... and i feel sure that one post is the only one we will see.

well there goes that theory! bunnydance
security
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 01:14:AM
Originally Posted by robmac

Sorry you turned it down- here is a model wearing one so we can you see how it would look:

mermaid dino

I can't wait to see what Mike says!

It's Sunday morning. I've got a hangover (I can post pics of it if you like, but it certainly ain't pretty dunno3) and the last thing I need is to see some criminal running about with next-to-bugger-all on.
Specially an overweight one.

clink

Mike.

But gimme an hour or two. yow
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 03:09:AM
Hey Brisbane AF watchers.....Renault Club M@N, midhnight to dawn run is on this coming weekend, 30/31 of October.
For those SEQ AFers, might be a good way to help pass the time with our other beloved forum in hyatis.
Link to club website http://www.renaultclubqld.com.au/documents/home.html

and forum http://renaultinaus.17.forumer.com/index.php
Just go to October events.
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 03:14:AM
faint
Have you got a tail too? hysterical
Posted By: Hotrodelectric Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 07:09:AM
Originally Posted by HKP
faint

Now now, HKP. Be Nice. I kinda like big girls. omgosh aww
Posted By: gamma Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 10:36:AM
Originally Posted by figs
suppose it wouldn't be a proper French car forum if it didn't break down... bricks

Now that just cuts to the bone... samurai eye
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 11:37:AM
Well bugger me. (And you don't get invitations like that every day). chaplin

Anyway........

If you let your mouse linger over some of the ads that appear after the first post on each page there are our good friends godaddy. rifle

Perhaps it might be polite to ask the captain of the good ship AUS-CITY if it's ok to abuse them before any of us does? bat bat

clink

Mike.
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 11:55:AM
Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric
Originally Posted by HKP
faint

eyebrow WHo said anything about big? I only asked about a tail grouphug2
Posted By: Girl607 Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 05:54:PM
hello, ive just found my way to this replacement site. lets hope things get sorted with aussiefrogs soon. bit of a worry. oh, and our latest little project in the family, stretching the 205 by 100mm in order to fix the lift off oversteer problem and making enough room for a mid-engine layout configuration for the t16 engine. we're nearly there!
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 07:11:PM
Originally Posted by HKP
Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric
Originally Posted by HKP
faint

eyebrow WHo said anything about big? I only asked about a tail grouphug2

Tails are good! you can wag them when you're happy or drop them to cover your more sensitive bits when feeling threatened. Only down side is when you tuck them into your pants it looks like you've had an accident. Mine was docked years ago before it was made illegal in Australia (so it only looks like a small accident)
bunnydance

now that bikini would look much better on jess than me!
Posted By: dinolovesjess Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 07:24:PM

I think you ll find Jess prefers turtle-necks...

teehee

clink

dino
Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Sun 24 Oct 2010 11:54:PM
Originally Posted by dinolovesjess

I think you ll find Jess prefers turtle-necks...

teehee

clink

dino

In this post-apocalyptic world, we remember Aussiefrogs as the site that catered to the proclivities of Australian dwelling french-car enthusiasts.

With all the talk of, cross-dressing, female impersonators, dinosaurs, bikinis and turtle-necks, God only knows what our American hosts and their contributors must think of the riff-raff that have burst onto their site!

The average poster to this site could be for given for thinking:

1) " "French cars" must be a euphemism for all manner of naughtiness and my life is meaningless without a rusting frog in the driveway - whatever that means";
2) "Australians are every bit as bonkers as I always thought they were;
3) "What's with the leather shorts, anyway"

EX
Posted By: dinolovesjess Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 12:03:AM

EX

Hang on a second....thus far...I dont believe anybody has mentioned "leather shorts!!!"... yikes scaredtwitch

clink

dino
Posted By: jp Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 12:09:AM
Originally Posted by dinolovesjess

EX

Hang on a second....thus far...I dont believe anybody has mentioned "leather shorts!!!"... yikes scaredtwitch

clink

dino

There you go again with the leather shorts. cavitysearch

Back to blokey things like cars and grease, did a mod on the rear end of the fuego and so far none of the bits have bent or snapped.
There is this huge rattle on the newly panel beaten bit, but only on over run at 2874.6 rpm so its a bitch to replicate. Only happens when driving hardish on a slight left lean. AGrrrr

Posted By: dinolovesjess Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 12:33:AM
Jo..if anybody can tune the rattle out..I m sure you can...perhaps
a touch of this stuff will do...

[Linked Image]

clink

dino
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 12:36:AM
David is confident that our March 2006 backup will work. It just needs some repair.

So looking in the other posts in the AF section, the biggest help in getting things sort of back to normal would be to post lots, & maybe work out a system of trawling google & wayback, then our own computers for images & info. A sub forum for an organised attack.

There might be a delay in getting things like upload centre, attachments & members gallery working again but the priority is the getting AF back.

It looks like we are on or own for sure as no contact from godadddy since Friday.

I need to get help with backing up in future so I will ask for volunteers (have to be qualified & vouched for by other strong members) to pull down a copy of AF at different periods. Looks like we will start at around 4 gigs. I have just upped my usage to the max with bigpond as I will give it a nudge this next month.

The offer of money is a nice thought but I don't require any to get us going again. Maybe we could look at using it for something else that could benefit everyone. The best help will be to get posting again X 10.

I'm going to say Thursday for AF back now. I am not around Wednesday or Thursday myself but I will get David to let you know the URL of the new location anyway.
Posted By: dinolovesjess Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 12:46:AM
David is confident that our March 2006 backup will work. It just needs some repair.

So looking in the other posts in the AF section, the biggest help in getting things sort of back to normal would be to post lots, & maybe work out a system of trawling google & wayback, then our own computers for images & info. A sub forum for an organised attack.

There might be a delay in getting things like upload centre, attachments & members gallery working again but the priority is the getting AF back.

It looks like we are on or own for sure as no contact from godadddy since Friday.

I need to get help with backing up in future so I will ask for volunteers (have to be qualified & vouched for by other strong members) to pull down a copy of AF at different periods. Looks like we will start at around 4 gigs. I have just upped my usage to the max with bigpond as I will give it a nudge this next month.

The offer of money is a nice thought but I don't require any to get us going again. Maybe we could look at using it for something else that could benefit everyone. The best help will be to get posting again X 10.

I'm going to say Thursday for AF back now. I am not around Wednesday or Thursday myself but I will get David to let you know the URL of the new location anyway.

good news...

maybe when we get going again we can do a "best of" AF or a "top 20"...
FWIW... I ll definitely try and repost some of my 505 pics...new 205 pics and the new 604 resto...
We ve got to get all the "post whores" out of the woodwork...

clink

dino
Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 01:53:AM
Gerry, that's wonderful.
Let's hope we can put together some sort of AF that resembles a cute green frog and not some Frankenstein Toadlike devilcreature. Although, for upcoming festivities of the Pagan variety, Frankentoad would be suitable. witch
Posted By: RonB Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 03:37:AM
Originally Posted by jp
but only on over run at 2874.6 rpm so its a bitch to replicate. Only happens when driving hardish on a slight left lean. AGrrrr

Jo
The mighty fuego must be fitted with a mighty tacho - reads down to 0.1 of a rev? amused
Posted By: robmac Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:00:AM
Gerry,

Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to see the more familiar AF back again!

And .. thanks so much to David, he must be under the pump too.

Can we import the treads and posts from Aus-City to serve as a reminder of the disaster (and the successful recovery from)

If it's does come online again next Thurday - then it's only been a week and a complete rebuild and re home in a week is a creditable.

cheers

Rob
Posted By: jp Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:09:AM
Originally Posted by RonB
Originally Posted by jp
but only on over run at 2874.6 rpm so its a bitch to replicate. Only happens when driving hardish on a slight left lean. AGrrrr

Jo
The mighty fuego must be fitted with a mighty tacho - reads down to 0.1 of a rev? amused

teehee
Ok you got me, it was just a guess, but I do actually have the technology to measure thousands of events per second with great accuracy on the old HP digital counter with its loverly retro display. I'm guessing at about 5 decimal points.

DIno, the challenge is not in deadening the resonating part, but in finding the barstard in the first place.
I need to get touchy feely with the side of the car when it starts its resonation, which means getting an assistant. I hate working with assistants.
It could be the plastic interior that is resonating, the plastic exterior, the fuel filler the exhaust against the body, the exhaust mount, or any tool I left behind. whistling

Jp
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:45:AM

[/quote]

starts its resonation, which means getting an assistant. I hate working with assistants.
. whistling

Jp
[/quote]

Well that's easy sorted, use yer other hand. Feels like you've an assistant, but ............. ohmy

clink

Mike.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:48:AM
i am beginning to see the importance of having (the real) australdi moderating the TP.
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 02:22:PM
i am beginning to see the importance of having (the real) australdi moderating the TP.

awwww...but Alexander, the faux Aus is doing such a good job! teen ...and so much like me that sometimes even I can't tell us apart wolfgirl happyeyes winks

hey

P.S. I found my whip
Posted By: Armidillo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 02:25:PM
Well this is a bit of a shock! See what happens when I don't keep an eye on you for a few days!

From the sound of things, I probably won't exist (as Country Cousin) in the restored 2006 vintage AF, so this is my chance to make a new start :-).

Looks like someone is trying to cash in on the apparent demise of AF, although they haven't had much response so far :-). Anyone know anything about this site?
http://www.aussiefrenchcars.com/?gclid=CNCU8LiV76QCFQjObgodeVG01g

Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 02:43:PM
Originally Posted by Armadillo
Well this is a bit of a shock! See what happens when I don't keep an eye on you for a few days!

From the sound of things, I probably won't exist (as Country Cousin) in the restored 2006 vintage AF, so this is my chance to make a new start :-).

Looks like someone is trying to cash in on the apparent demise of AF, although they haven't had much response so far :-). Anyone know anything about this site?
http://www.aussiefrenchcars.com/?gclid=CNCU8LiV76QCFQjObgodeVG01g

Mmmm, wonder who is behind this new forum? Show yourself. vampire
Gunna stick with the original and wait out the down time over here. it's like a vacation. kumbaya
Posted By: Armidillo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 03:07:PM
New topic:
Oldest son and girlfriend slid off a gravel road near Tamworth yesterday and hit a tree. They are fine but car (Nissan Pathfinder) looks like a write-off.

They are mountain-bikers and campers and need a fairly roomy vehicle. Tim is open to the idea of a 406 HDi wagon, but the supply seems to have dried up... Anyone know of one for sale?
Posted By: whatsup_will Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 03:19:PM
if you need to have off server storage, i have access to unlimited storage from my dreamhost account, i'm willing to setup a user and give you the username and password to do the backup via ssh or sftp or ftp, whichever you prefer. i'm currently hosting http://mickomalleys.com.au/ and many other websites so it wont be going away for a long while.

I also do web development, if you have not guessed smile http://www.enhanceindustries.com.au/
Posted By: dinolovesjess Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 03:25:PM
Originally Posted by jp

DIno, the challenge is not in deadening the resonating part, but in finding the barstard in the first place.

Jp

ahhhhh doh ....sorry...my mistake....didnt realise that you wanted a permanent fix...silly me...the "bosnian" solution is very similar to the aussie one..."she ll be right mate"... whew2

clink

dino

Posted By: HKP Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 03:52:PM
New topic:
Oldest son and girlfriend slid off a gravel road near Tamworth yesterday and hit a tree. They are fine but car (Nissan Pathfinder) looks like a write-off.

They are mountain-bikers and campers and need a fairly roomy vehicle. Tim is open to the idea of a 406 HDi wagon, but the supply seems to have dried up... Anyone know of one for sale?

Glad they are OK.
Haven't seen too many 406 wagons for a while. I think the last I saw was a STDT. Will keep an ear out. The place our son bought his Clio had a Laguna wagon but it's now gone. They have a 2000 V70 for $12k or a 307 HDi for $15k. Happy to pass on details.
Posted By: Armidillo Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 04:31:PM
Have now found the rest of the AF stuff, so will start a new thread there. Thx HKP.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 06:36:PM

http://www.aussiefrenchcars.com/?gclid=CNCU8LiV76QCFQjObgodeVG01

well, this is most interesting. a WHOIS lookup shows this for www.aussiefrenchcars.com

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: AUSSIEFRENCHCARS.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
NS31.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS32.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Domains by Proxy is a service which operates in conjunction with GoDaddy, and essentially allows the registrant details for a website to be hidden from general view. you should see some of the complaints about DBP on discussion forums! all incredibly suspicious in view of the fact that GoDaddy somehow deleted a whole website and its backup.
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 06:51:PM

http://www.aussiefrenchcars.com/?gclid=CNCU8LiV76QCFQjObgodeVG01

well, this is most interesting. a WHOIS lookup shows this for www.aussiefrenchcars.com

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: AUSSIEFRENCHCARS.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
NS31.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS32.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Domains by Proxy is a service which operates in conjunction with GoDaddy, and essentially allows the registrant details for a website to be hidden from general view. you should see some of the complaints about DBP on discussion forums! all incredibly suspicious in view of the fact that GoDaddy somehow deleted a whole website and its backup.

Just another very good reason not to even associate with it! It's a low ball whichever way you look at it. IMHO it's akin to picking pockets at a car accident. thumbdown
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 06:58:PM
it certainly is a low ball, and a very odd turn of events besides.

and the site has a few posters on it already i notice...
Posted By: mlb Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 07:22:PM
it certainly is a low ball, and a very odd turn of events besides.

and the site has a few posters on it already i notice...

Yeah, some real comedians on there too I noticed.
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 07:56:PM
funnily enough, i didnt see anything funny there at all. all i saw was something really deeply and pathetically tragic.

as a general comment on life, however, it is so that in times of crisis and turmoil, when people are often left in the position of having to regulate their own behaviour, that the true depth of their character is revealed. for better, or worse.
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 08:23:PM
funnily enough, i didnt see anything funny there at all. all i saw was something really deeply and pathetically tragic.

as a general comment on life, however, it is so that in times of crisis and turmoil, when people are often left in the position of having to regulate their own behaviour, that the true depth of their character is revealed. for better, or worse.

Hear hear! Alexander couldn't have said it better myself!
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 08:24:PM
hmmm...I might have added "disturbed" to the adjectives though.
Posted By: Pug_405_Mi16 Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 08:37:PM
Hey Gerry and All,

Sorry to hear about AF being off the air! If there is anything I can do (yeah OK I doubt it) sing out.

Otherwise I'll keep hacking away at the 505's which seem to keep multiplying every time I turn by back frown

Cheers and all the best getting the old site back
Ben
Posted By: mlb Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 09:23:PM

We don't agree much alexander, but on this I'm with you.

And considering one of the posts there refers to something that I posted on my Facebook page weeks ago points to something a bit personal and sinister.

Pathetic idiots who really need to get a life.

Matt
Posted By: alexander Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 09:29:PM
Originally Posted by mlb

We don't agree much alexander, but on this I'm with you.

And considering one of the posts there refers to something that I posted on my Facebook page weeks ago points to something a bit personal and sinister.

Pathetic idiots who really need to get a life.

Matt

ok, i take it you are saying the mlb on the 'other' site is not you. so a question to allcomers: are the 'addo', 'pugrambo', and 'doublechevron', on the other site, the same people we know them as?

ta.
Posted By: mlb Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 09:34:PM

ok, i take it you are saying the mlb on the 'other' site is not you. so a question to allcomers: are the 'addo', 'pugrambo', and 'doublechevron', on the other site, the same people we know them as?

ta.

I think you would find that they too are the figments of imagination - I'm confident of that.

If you had the means I think you would find all of those posts came from only a couple of IP adresses.
Posted By: DoubleChevron Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 10:22:PM

ta.

Nah it's not me. Having said that I don't think there is anything underhanded about that forum... My guess is someone has just put a lot of time into setting it up ............... and one of our Aussiefrogs members has tried to play silly buggers by setting themselves up accounts as people that exist on aussiefrogs as soon as they have found it. A bit of harmless fun that's backfired on them bigtime by the look of it.

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: They must be truly insane to want to be em hysterical
Posted By: gamma Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:05:PM
I don’t know if I should be offended or relieved that someone has not tried to do the "real gamma"........Oh well... brainfried

Still in withdrawal, the possibly me, or not.... overact
Posted By: gibgib Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:21:PM
Thanks for your PM about this Alexander.

I think it's just someone having fun but going to great lengths to do!

Someone called me on Saturday regarding offering space on their server on a social network site. The offer is nice but it doesn't really fit the AF identity very well. How'd you get my mobile number though???

Don't know any more tonight!
Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:58:PM
Originally Posted by DoubleChevron

ta.

Nah it's not me. Having said that I don't think there is anything underhanded about that forum... My guess is someone has just put a lot of time into setting it up ............... and one of our Aussiefrogs members has tried to play silly buggers by setting themselves up accounts as people that exist on aussiefrogs as soon as they have found it. A bit of harmless fun that's backfired on them bigtime by the look of it.

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: They must be truly insane to want to be em hysterical

Actually its almost flattering.

I wonder who'll they get to play me? Brad Pitt maybe...

Posted By: Exfrogger Re: aussiefrogs.com offline - Tue 26 Oct 2010 12:06:AM

And as the fearsome Mr Bell how about...

Alan Rickman (aka. Severus Snape)

And who do we get to play the garrulous but nonetheless lovable Mr Kenfuego?

Posted By: Schlemiel Central Casting - Tue 26 Oct 2010 12:11:AM
Kensky would be played by David Suchet.

"Fuegot"
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: Central Casting - Tue 26 Oct 2010 05:15:AM
Originally Posted by Schlemiel
Kensky would be played by David Suchet.

"Fuegot"

hmmm I think we'll be waiting for Fuegot...

but he might never appear. clown
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: Central Casting - Tue 26 Oct 2010 12:59:PM
And who'll be 'manning' the casting couch, for want of a better expression?

clink

Mike.
Posted By: magic_205 Re: Central Casting - Tue 26 Oct 2010 08:33:PM
i lost my hole car build's as well, and not only on AF, was linked worldwide in other forums..
i be sure you guys will fix it, and do it maybe next time better.. we all do mistakes and learn from it ...

Posted By: alexander Re: Central Casting - Wed 27 Oct 2010 12:34:PM
if you start out with nothing, but actually end up with none of it left, is that a bad, or good?
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: Central Casting - Wed 27 Oct 2010 01:22:PM
It's all a matter of perspectives, imponderables, and another long word that, momentarily, I can't spell.

clink

Mike.
Posted By: gibgib Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 12:35:AM
David seems to have gone AWOL (I think he is in a plane right now) & I have no idea where he got to with the database so I have started from scratch!
One of the big files has been restored for me by powweb & I'm waiting for them to restore 2 others. Hopefully that should be it.
I made the request at 3:15am & they said 24 hours.

Mistareno has applied the normal style to the new vbulletin install on powweb so once the database is working with the really old 2006 version of vbulletin, I will upgrade it so the tables will talk to the new version. Then I simply tell the styled new version to look at the recovered database.

I found a user table from late 2008 on my laptop that goes up to member 7770 so less people may need to re-register. I hope it will talk to the older tables. My mysql skills are limited but browsing in mysqladmin things look very good. The last post was by UFO.

Hopefully OK later tonight or in the morning. It's out of my hands for the moment.
Posted By: Mimis_dad Re: Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 12:41:AM
cof choir choir cof

clink

chaplin
Posted By: SamR Re: Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 12:53:AM
Wow, that's fantastic news! dance dancing spin alcohol happyrun

And in other news I only just found this particular thread... whistling chaplin
Posted By: sunshine77 Re: Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 01:38:AM
Originally Posted by Mimis_dad
cof choir choir cof

clink

chaplin

What he said... All good news cheer
Posted By: Australdi_real Re: Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 02:23:AM
This news deserves a glass or two of Killerby Cb Sav '97 !!! alcohol
happyrun
Posted By: gamma Re: Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 10:52:AM
I cant wait...
shocking music bunnydance dino happy

Posted By: UFO Re: Update! - Thu 28 Oct 2010 11:31:AM
. The last post was by UFO.

Hopefully OK later tonight or in the morning. It's out of my hands for the moment.

Good news and I'm glad I was of some service in this mash up. grin
Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 01:06:AM
Still waiting!

Nothing has changed since last night.
I just upped my account to premium support. I really need this done Friday business their time (a few hours away) otherwise the weekend may mean no AF home until Monday.

I think all bases are covered re everything else. DNS easy changed once it's working but I will tell you the temp address straight away.
Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:30:PM
http://gibgib.powweb.com/aussiefrogs/forum/index.php

You need your username & password from 2006.
If you have forgotten send me an email gibgib@aussiefrogs.com

If you registered after March 2006 you need to re-register.

There is still a lot of work to do. I will do some more tonight. Going insane sitting here when it's a sunny day outside.

Cheers!
Posted By: Armidillo Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:33:PM
12:30pm Saturday and things must be happening!

Just entered "www.aussiefrogs.com" into my browser, and got sent to agnes-water.com. So it looks like AF is going to the beach :-)
Posted By: Armidillo Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:42:PM
Yep, i's there all right and it looks like Jo Proffi got in with the first post of the new grown up (no daddy) era!

However the backup must have been taken just days before I joined up, as it doesn't recognise my old username and password :-(.
Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:48:PM
Man your DNS is fast!

Try it now. There was a powweb prob & they fixed it within about 10 mins!
Posted By: Armidillo Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:54:PM
Thanks - that's better!

Tried to register, but the 6 letter code (Image Verification) doesn't appear. Each time I refresh the image the background changes but no letters appear. Same in either IE or Chrome.
Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 04:04:PM
Thanks I'll check that.

Also I am rebuilding the threads as adding another one add to an existing one.
Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 04:19:PM
Image verification not working I need to get powweb to fix.
It will ask you a question instead for now.
Posted By: Armidillo Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 04:30:PM
Whew! Took while to guess the answer to the question (I used 2 words), but I'm in! The moderator approved me pretty qickly too :-).

Now Agnes Water is back. Oh well...
Posted By: robmac Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 04:40:PM
I must have changed my password.. pm sent to Gibgib via Auscity...
Posted By: Armidillo Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 05:04:PM
Well it looks as if AF is a bit of an old boys (& girls) club for the moment. As I wasn't a member when the backup was made (ie March 2006) I have registered and can log on but can't post. So all you "old boys" better show lots of enthusiasm and post lots, as it looks as if us newbies won't be helping for a while...
Posted By: jp Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 05:11:PM
Originally Posted by Armidillo
..... So all you "old boys" better show lots of enthusiasm and post lots, as it looks as if us newbies won't be helping for a while...

Try stopping them. grin
Posted By: HKP Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 06:10:PM
Originally Posted by Armidillo
Well it looks as if AF is a bit of an old boys (& girls) club for the moment. As I wasn't a member when the backup was made (ie March 2006) I have registered and can log on but can't post. So all you "old boys" better show lots of enthusiasm and post lots, as it looks as if us newbies won't be helping for a while...
ban devil What's this 'old' cr*p whiteman??
Still on the same p/w doh
Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 06:25:PM
Still having problems with posting new threads. The thread appears at the end of another post, unrelated post.
Ran all the repair scripts.

Anyone got a idea for me.
Might need to close it otherwise there will be a mess of posts, threads everywhere.
Posted By: robmac Re: Update! - Fri 29 Oct 2010 08:53:PM
I suggest you close the forum. Have a break for while.

Even go out and give the whole sordid situation a break.

We have all waited this long to have it back, we can all wait a bit longer.

It's no good to man or beast when you are tired and stressed.

Sorry I can't advise on a more technical level....
Posted By: Boodek Re: Update! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 01:14:AM
I don't think whether you are old or new has anything to do with it. I've been a member since July 2001 and can log in to the interim(?)website

but not post.

I can wait. Patience is a virtue, of which I have plenty. (Patience, not virtues!)

Posted By: gibgib Re: Update! - Sat 30 Oct 2010 01:48:AM
All good now.
Head on over if you haven't already.

My satellite internet works for http://www.aussiefrogs.com but not bigpond as yet. It can take 24 hours & when you go the other way with the address you may need to log in again.
© AUS-CITY Message Forums