AUS-CITY
Posted By: VWM Renault 20 timing belt change intervals - Fri 29 Oct 2010 01:37:AM
Hi
I have 2 different manuals here that quote different intervals for changing the timing belt.
The factory manual states 105000km and the Gregory's 60000km.
Which one is the correct one?
I guess the Fuego owners could also answer this!
Posted By: jp Re: Renault 20 timing belt change intervals - Fri 29 Oct 2010 02:29:AM
I've never paid much attention to Km with my cars, but its probably best to go 60k km.

I think time is the biggest killer though, so err on the side of caution and replace it sooner than later.

Jo
Posted By: pugnose Re: Renault 20 timing belt change intervals - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:04:AM
Yes listen to JP. It's really not worth the hassle of a blown motor for the sake of a couple of hours.
Those R20's just go forever if you do the right things with 'em. I had one with 350K on it still going very well. On the 406 it's 80K or 8 years. But be cautious. I have a 406 in the shed with a blown motor courtesy of overstaying the timing belt change.
It is informative.
One piston is completely gone, with a con rod there where once a piston sat. The head is a write off with 4 busted off valves and big chunks taken out where bits of valve heads were pummeled between piston and head in the final stages.
The engine is a boat anchor.
Posted By: jp Re: Renault 20 timing belt change intervals - Fri 29 Oct 2010 03:57:AM
I snapped a few teeth off a fuego belt once and the crank spun whilst the belt stayed still.
Its not a free spinning motor but I was lucky that the only symptom after a new belt was shoved on was a click when cold so obviously a valve was bent.

Jp
Posted By: VWM Re: Renault 20 timing belt change intervals - Fri 29 Oct 2010 10:57:AM
Thanks guys, I will go with 60000km or 4 years.
viragewagonman
© AUS-CITY Message Forums