Bugei Samurai Katana review

The Swedish powdered steel used in the construction of the Samurai Katana. Strength, edge holding, and beauty have all been significantly enhanced by the use of this steel along with the complex folding process. The blade evidences a gunome style hamon and a dramatic ayasugi-hada with mokume and masame.

The tsuba is steel and engraved with an image of a Samruai drawing his sword. The fuchi and kashira also feature Samurai engravings. The saya and the tsuka ito are black. The nakago are 10 inches with two mekugi.

Blade Specifications: Motohaba is 1 1/4 inch, Sakihaba is 1 inch, Torisori is 7/8 inch, Hamon is in Gyaku Choji style, and the kissaki is 1 3/4 inches.

I decided on the Samurai Katana as I wanted something designed for heavy tameshigiri cutting. Even though the blade is folded steel, it is still substantial and will resist bending. The Samurai Katana is available in a number of blade and tsuka length combinations, something that is not available for a number of swords in this price range.

Blade (inches) Tsuka (inches)
27.5 --------- 11.0
27.5 --------- 13.0
28.5 --------- 11.0
28.5 --------- 14.0
29.5 --------- 11.0
29.5 --------- 15.0

I enjoy this katana and it cuts exceptionally well. While it tends to be heavy (as most good katanas are) there is a large difference between iaito and katana in weight.

If you are looking for a robust blade, this blade is nicely finished and is ready to perform right out of the box. It does not require any polishing or sharpening.

Blade length 29.5 inches (74.93 cm)
Tsuka length 11.0 inches (27.94 cm)
Weight (without saya) ~ 1200 gm
Cost $1095 USD (no freight ex USA)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

David Cottle

UBB Owner & Administrator