The sticky Southern summer heat makes me slightly insane. It's an agitation that grows deep within me as the season ripens, and the humidity and temperature rise in equal fashion. This heat has been both a blessing and a curse throughout my life. The giver of swims in the local creek and refreshing mint juleps is also the giver of 20-pound sweat drenched t-shirts and late summer landscapes browned and brittle as death itself. As Mrs. Pearson states it's a "pregnant heat." No doubt ready to burst forth with "lost dreams and wayward souls."This intense steamy heat, so taxing for me, is a dream for another wayward soul--the cockroach. In North Carolina a single home can host an alarming variety of these heat-seeking insects. Brown-banded, German, American, Smokybrown, and Oriental--these enterprising pests with intercontinental names will turn any warm inviting home into a United Nations of roaches. It's a terrifying thought--notoriously indestructible vermin that feed off hot, humid misery. [More]

Add to digg
Add to StumbleUpon
Add to Reddit
Add to Facebook
Add to del.icio.us
Email this Article

Source: Where There's Heat, There Are Cockroaches

David Cottle

UBB Owner & Administrator