NATO Press Release (2002)093 9 July 2002<br /><br /> <br /><br />SFOR?S Detention Of Indicted War Criminal Radovan Stankovic<br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Today, 9 July 2002, SFOR detained Radovan Stankovic, who is under indictment by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia for war crimes. Mr. Stankovic was detained in Trebijina in southeastern Bosnia and Herzegovina and is in the process of being transferred to The Hague. Mr. Stankovic surrendered to SFOR forces and thus there were no casualties sustained by SFOR, Mr. Stankovic or anyone in the surrounding area.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> NATO Secretary General Lord Robertson said, ?I am deeply grateful to the SFOR soldiers and their commanders for their courage, professionalism and dedication in carrying out this operation. Today?s action is another step in NATO?s drive to detain the remaining war crime indictees. Each fugitive sent to The Hague makes it easier to build a lasting peace in the Balkans.?<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Radovan Stankovic?s indictment covers war crimes committed while he was a member of the Serb elite paramilitary unit of Pero Elez between 2 August 1992, and on or about 30 October 1992. During this period, Stankovic is alleged to have been in charge of a house where he detained and raped women and girls. He is accused of crimes against humanity to include enslavement and rape, and violations of the laws and customs of war to include outrages upon personal dignity. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Today?s action follows SFOR?s detention on Sunday, 7 July, of another indicted war criminal, Miroslav Deronjic. Eighty-two out of 103 persons indicted for war crimes by the Tribunal have now been brought to justice. Some turned themselves in voluntarily at the time and place of their choosing. Others were forcibly apprehended.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Secretary General Lord Robertson added, ?SFOR?s two detentions this week serve as a warning. There is no place to hide for anyone accused by the Tribunal of these horrific crimes style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I call on all remaining fugitives, in particular Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic, to surrender to the Tribunal. Let me be crystal clear to those with guilty consciences. You have only two choices: turn yourself in with dignity or justice will be brought to you. The net is closing.?<br /><br /> <br /><br /> This detention was undertaken in accordance with SFOR?s authority to detain such persons when encountered in the course of its tasks. SACEUR, as overall commander for SFOR, has kept the Secretary General fully informed of this action. SFOR will continue to do its part by carrying out its mission in a firm and even-handed manner.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> The parties to the Dayton Peace Agreement remain responsible for cooperating in the investigation and prosecution of war crimes and other violations of international humanitarian law. Accordingly, Lord Robertson today said, ?I call on all authorities in the region, including Belgrade, to fully cooperate with the Tribunal in order to promote a stable and lasting peace.?