What is W32.MimailA@mm and how does it affect me?<br />W32.Mimail@mm is a worm that spreads by email, steals information from certain windows on a user's desktop and sends it to specific email addresses. It also takes advantage of a known vulnerability. Information about this vulnerability and a Microsoft patch is located at:<br /><br />http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330994<br /><br />System administrators are encouraged to apply the Microsoft patch to prevent infection by this worm.<br /><br />The email has the following characteristics:<br /><br />From: admin@[current domain]*<br /><br />Attachment: Message.zip<br />Subject: your account (variable determined by W32.Mimail.A@mm)<br /><br />Message:<br />Hello there,<br />I would like to inform you about important information regarding your email address. This email address will be expiring. Please read attachment for details.<br /><br />Best regards,<br />Administrator<br /><br />* The “From” address may be spoofed so it appears to be coming from the current domain<br /><br />What action can I take from here?<br />Symantec Security Response posted virus definitions to protect against this threat on August, 2003 (via LiveUpdate). All users of Norton AntiVirus who do not have up-to-date virus protection should immediately run LiveUpdate for protection from W32.Mimail.A@mm.<br /><br />Virus definitions with a version number of 50801r (August 1, 2003 rev 18) or greater will detect this threat.<br /><br />Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate feature in the Norton AntiVirus product or the Symantec Security Response Web site.<br /><br />Symantec Security Response encourages all Norton AntiVirus users to regularly download virus definitions in order to protect against future threats. For more information on how to run LiveUpdate, please click here.<br /><br />UPGRADE CUSTOMERS - If you have an older version of Norton AntiVirus and would like to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2003, please click here.<br /><br />NEW CUSTOMERS - If you would like to purchase Norton AntiVirus 2003, please click here.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Symantec Security Response Team<br />Symantec Corporation