AUS-CITY Message Forums

AUS-CITY Group Forums

Come explore with us!

Please also visit: IDB.COM.AU - IDB.INFO - IDB.ASIA - IDB.AU
Race Control News and Results Feed
YouTube David 'The Captain' - YouTube Wesley 'Iceman' - YouTube Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Twitch.tv David 'The Captain' - Twitch.tv Wesley 'Iceman' - Twitch.tv Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Odysee - 'F1 - The Captain' - Oydsee - 'FiA - Iceman' - Odysee - 'KingScaron'
Join our discord server - 'Formula Racing Club'
Join our discord server - 'F1 Formula Racing Club'
Join our telegram server - 'Track Limits'

Search AUS-CITY
Search Worldwide
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 591 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
KSC PAD 39A
PAD 39A
KSC PAD 39B
PAD 39B
TLE DATA

IDB.COM.AU

For all your TLE downloads.

May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
AUS-CITY Recent Posts
Historic space-baked cookie lands in the Smithsonian
by Webmaster - Thu 09 May 2024 03:30:PM
Ruko Veeniix V11 drone review
by Webmaster - Thu 09 May 2024 11:43:AM
AUS-CITY Latest Photos
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
"5greenheart" by MA
"5greenheart" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
"3moons" by MA
"3moons" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Popular Topics(Views)
AUS-CITY Earthquake Map
World Earthquake Map
AUS-CITY Advertisements
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
RonB Offline OP
Space Trainee
OP Offline
Space Trainee
R
if we were a chat group who didn't store history/records and knowledge - how simple all this would be.

When we get do a count of countries which subscribe to AF I'm sure it was up into the 20's, on the members count we probably have a couple of thousand who are currently active over any twelve month period. If godaddy was to get a note from members from all around the world saying that they are less impressed with the service offered AF AND that they were going to post the following description of AF's treatment on every forum to which they currently subscribe they may find that they have a backup hidden under a rock somewhere or other.

What we need is a formal note from gerry (god bless him)or Greenblood detailing the actions of AF and godaddy, the responses of both parties etc. etc. which can be circulated to all and sundry.

AUS-CITY Advertisements

UBB Central
Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.
AtomicSecured Linux
CMS The Best Conveyancing solicitors conveyancing quotes throughout the UK
For any webhosting enquiries please email webmaster@aus-city.com
UFO Offline
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
I agree. I have already made comments on my facebook profile and would quite happily back it up with other posts elsewhere.

Craig K

Find our data GoDaddy
S
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
S
Geez, I thought some of the people I work with were incompetent. This F-UP by godaddy is just right off the scale. FFS, who deletes backups?
I know most of it could encourage more communication rather than the search function, but Christ, they're going to get some good references out of this.
I better stop now before I get banned on my first post.
BTW Thanks to all who are managing the fight, flight & relocation. You are magic.
Stu

T
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
T
There's a whole site dedicated to to the efforts of GoDaddy: NoDaddy.Com (Exposing the Many Reasons Not to Trust GoDaddy with Your Domain Names).

Looks like a place for gibgib to document the facts of our tale of woe.

R
RonB Offline OP
Space Trainee
OP Offline
Space Trainee
R
Originally Posted by TimOzSF
There's a whole site dedicated to to the efforts of GoDaddy: NoDaddy.Com (Exposing the Many Reasons Not to Trust GoDaddy with Your Domain Names).

Looks like a place for gibgib to document the facts of our tale of woe.

tim
I'm more vindictive than that I would like to see these b****ds hurt because people pull their support. If we could convince every AFer who reads about the fiasco this mob has created by their own incompetence to post to another forum a note that was Titled 'how godaddy totally screwed one of the top 20 forums in Australia' or similar. Then ask people to cut and past it around any other forum they belong to.
what we need is a straight out rundown of events, conversations, denials etc

T
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
T
Originally Posted by RonB
tim
I'm more vindictive than that I would like to see these b****ds hurt because people pull their support. If we could convince every AFer who reads about the fiasco this mob has created by their own incompetence to post to another forum a note that was Titled 'how godaddy totally screwed one of the top 20 forums in Australia' or similar. Then ask people to cut and past it around any other forum they belong to.
what we need is a straight out rundown of events, conversations, denials etc

Couldn't agree more! I'm already spreading the "good" word wherever I happen to wander. But I would like to be able to back up my opinion with a link to the facts as well.

Last edited by TimOzSF; Sun 24 Oct 2010 04:31:AM.
S
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
S
i dont know the specifics, like that there was a paid for dedicated backup service or not but generally all hosting companies make backups for clients without any form of guarantee, in fact usually the first thing they mention is to make your own backups.

Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Not really like me, I must be mellowing with age.
But I'd advise caution before hurling accusations around the place.

Probably best to leave things to the folk 'in the know'?

clink

Mike.

M
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
M
Further to Spar's post I'm not sure how big the overall AF website files are.

Generally with websites the owner or owners colleagues, staff they entrust with username and password can upload and download files which make up the pages.

In our case apart from the domain hosting company we have these on 2 portable 10GB hard drives, a 500GB HD on a desktop computer and another 500GB backup drive. We back up the 10GB portable to the 500GB desktop once a week, copy the desktop to the portable 500GB when the mood strikes. If we had a crash midweek I could probably recover lost document files from GMail attachments. I had TrueImage 2009 for a while. It was a complete waste of time and a total flop when one computer crashed. On that basis I've given up on Mirror Imaging software (which is supposed to restore all your settings) and just been content in worst case to save data.

Must admit have put all my faith email wise into GMail. Finally gave up on Outlook which you need to fiddle around with once the file is past 2GB.
Our current GMail file is around 8GB with emails going back to 2005. (you pay $20 for bigger 25GB capacity)

Depending on how big AF is for example a cheap backup is to email the files to a GMail account.
Safer still a CD rom copy once a week may limit the damage of a crash. With the low cost of these my IT guys recommend non rewrites.

I'm sure there are some experienced IT guys on AF. So this post is just how we go about it here in the spirit of being helpful. Rather than I told you so.

Moderated by  VA3DBJ, Webmaster 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Rtuneion, JohnReid, nguyenthanhthuon, Rug_Rig_Fitness, Shelly
2,957 Registered Users
Pictures

NASA Picture of the Day

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day

Picture of the Week

Latest SOHO Solar Image
The latest solar image from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)

NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center

Live Web Cam's
Live Sydney Harbour Bridge Looking South

Live Sydney Warringah Freeway

Live Sydney M2 Motorway Lane Cove

Live Sydney Anzac Bridge

Live Hilo Bay Hawaii

Live Australian Antarctica Casey Division

Live Australian Antarctica Mawson Division

Live Mount Fuji - Japan

Ny-Alesund - Antarctica

AUS-CITY Live Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
Top Posters(30 Days)
Webmaster 3,139
Alisa 521
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics685,737
Posts720,348
Members2,957
Most Online3,142
Jan 16th, 2023
Top Posters
Webmaster 381,903
Alisa 64,175
Jedi Knight 4,142
reuder 557
apsattv 517
ShaRp 408
Big Chief 377
Flux 208
HQSS 138
Copyright 1996 - 2023 by David Cottle. Designed by David Bate Jr. All Rights Reserved.
By using this forum, the user agrees not to transfer any data or technical information received under the agreement, to any other entity without the express approval of the AUS-CITY Forum Admins and/or authors of individual posts (Forum Admins and DoD/USSPACECOM for the analysis of satellite tracking data).

Two-line elements (TLE) and all other satellite data presented and distributed via this forum and e-mail lists of AUS-CITY are distributed with permission from DoD/USSTRATCOM.

UBB Central

Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.

AtomicSecured Linux

Reprise Hosting