AUS-CITY Message Forums

AUS-CITY Group Forums

Come explore with us!

Please also visit: IDB.COM.AU - IDB.INFO - IDB.ASIA - IDB.AU
Race Control News and Results Feed
YouTube David 'The Captain' - YouTube Wesley 'Iceman' - YouTube Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Twitch.tv David 'The Captain' - Twitch.tv Wesley 'Iceman' - Twitch.tv Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Odysee - 'F1 - The Captain' - Oydsee - 'FiA - Iceman' - Odysee - 'KingScaron'
Join our discord server - 'Formula Racing Club'
Join our discord server - 'F1 Formula Racing Club'
Join our telegram server - 'Track Limits'

Search AUS-CITY
Search Worldwide
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 741 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
KSC PAD 39A
PAD 39A
KSC PAD 39B
PAD 39B
TLE DATA

IDB.COM.AU

For all your TLE downloads.

May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
AUS-CITY Recent Posts
Lego Marvel The Amazing Spider-Man review
by Webmaster - Wed 01 May 2024 05:45:PM
Solar maximum: What is it and when will it occur?
by Webmaster - Wed 01 May 2024 05:00:PM
NASA's James Webb Space Telescope mission — Live updates
by Webmaster - Wed 01 May 2024 03:46:PM
Best sci-fi movies with 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes
by Webmaster - Wed 01 May 2024 03:29:PM
AUS-CITY Latest Photos
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
"5greenheart" by MA
"5greenheart" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
"3moons" by MA
"3moons" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Popular Topics(Views)
AUS-CITY Earthquake Map
World Earthquake Map
AUS-CITY Advertisements
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50830 Tue 26 Oct 2010 08:13:PM
S
Astronaut Level 1
OP Offline
Astronaut Level 1
S
RE: aussiefrenchcars Forum

I don't know who the instigator is - a detail at this stage of no interest to myself - but I request you "cease and desist" now with the imitation Aussiefrogs website.

The assumption of multiple user identities, together with attributed posts that weakly mimic the least serious moments of affected people, is not impressive. Many members worked hard under the AussieFrogs mantra of "sharing the knowledge" and created an admirably diverse internet fabric. Yes, humour was an integral part of that, as were misadventures, processes of discovery and a whole lot of intelligent DIY remedies for everything from lock buttons to steering racks and major collision repairs.

The imposter site can never possess a social facet, as its creators will ever have to hide. As Trevor G commented, it will rely on the curious or misinformed for any ongoing conspicuity. If the creator(s?) imagined they might be friends of mine - evidenced by the lightweight posts in my assumed username - they have burnt their bridges well beyond anything an apology may traverse.

To be blunt: Stop now, before it hurts you.

AUS-CITY Advertisements

UBB Central
Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.
AtomicSecured Linux
CMS The Best Conveyancing solicitors conveyancing quotes throughout the UK
For any webhosting enquiries please email webmaster@aus-city.com
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Unfortunately A I don't think the creator of that site is man enough to do the ethical and responsible thing and abort that site to the cyber ether.
I don't think they understand that something that is born of ego and ill will is never likely to rise above that level unless a full disclosure and apology is forthcomming.
Based upon the evidence so far...don't hold your breath for it.

...one lesson that they might take from the whole debarcle though, is that 'humour' that is based upon exploiting and abusing the good will of others is actually not funny. It's juvenile.

You ain't got nothing if you ain't got integrity! wink

B
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
B
+1 Di and "chippie bloke"
Just posted on another thread regarding this very lame and possibly damaging cyber identity theft.
For theft it is, even our lame courts will find that true!

Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by Australdi_real
U

...one lesson that they might take from the whole debarcle though, is that 'humour' that is based upon exploiting and abusing the good will of others is actually not funny. It's juvenile.

You ain't got nothing if you ain't got integrity! wink

Hi Di,

Again I'm in complete agreement.

Whilst I can see the majority the new user names are close enough to recognised by word and deed. I'm left scratching my head about these, presumably old members, who have chosen to imitate their peers and mods.

I'm almost of the opinion, after the humorless charade that has resulted and when it's least needed, that once AF returns maybe admin should:

Log IPs silently
and/or
Insist or real names being used in profiles - many other Forums do this.

Better still I wonder if IPs can be logged NOW and the data collected ?

Because we are "temporarily relocated" humour has been a major topic rather than the more normal "sharing the knowledge"

It would be most disappointing if this kind of rubbish persists when we have our familiar house back.

It's a case of thougtless few spoiling it for the majority.

Anyway that's my view my FWIW.

cheers

Robert

Last edited by robmac; Tue 26 Oct 2010 09:11:PM.
J
jp Offline
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
J
Originally Posted by brendan
+1 Di and "chippie bloke"
Just posted on another thread regarding this very lame and possibly damaging cyber identity theft.
For theft it is, even our lame courts will find that true!

How is it identity theft????
DO you go around asking every person called brendan to have your name back and an exclusiveity clause be placed on it???

As far as I know, your identity is your full name in combination with your DOB.
Drivers licence, pasport and medicare numbers embellish this identity.
Finger prints and dental records are another version of physical identity.

If someone logs onto your net bank, steals your dentures or dermis, or has the same drivers licence numbers as your thats identity theft, but if someone impersonates a nick name and talks shit, thats .....a big nothing.

What was more of a concern was that the site was up for sale therefore someone was buying all our AF identities, at least as far as the site was concerned.

AT the end of the day, they can have my name, I dont care, but I couldn't agree less with ROB that AF should have a criteria of legitimacy of names.

Jp

Last edited by jp; Tue 26 Oct 2010 10:53:PM.
jp #50914 Wed 27 Oct 2010 11:32:PM
S
Astronaut Level 1
OP Offline
Astronaut Level 1
S
I understand our "fake" website has done the respectable thing.

That's good to hear.

Schlemiel #50921 Thu 28 Oct 2010 12:25:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
So do I have the rather dubious distinction of having the only deleted thread? yay2
At my age I should be thoroughly ashamed.crying

clink

Mike.

Mimis_dad #50930 Thu 28 Oct 2010 02:12:AM
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
Originally Posted by Mimis_dad
So do I have the rather dubious distinction of having the only deleted thread? yay2
At my age I should be thoroughly ashamed.crying

clink

Mike.
On contraire - I dips me lid. Well done sir.

Schlemiel #50974 Thu 28 Oct 2010 10:12:PM
B
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
B
JP I wish to put this scenario to you.
You are OS/on tour or otherwise not on the net and by devious means I become you via another website or worse on the normal websites. Would you not be offended?
If taken just a step further say I pick up a gig under your guise and act like a complete pratt!
Is this not what theft identity is even in cyberspace?
I can google my name and it seems that there are three hits. Two in Australia and one in America, of course I'd like to keep my name, by whatever guise I chose to be un-sullied and I think you do to.
Whilst this is taking things to the limit at what point do you want the limit to be reached?
Hopefully we can agree that with global communication as it is, identity theft may not mean personal loss but an image tarnished that could lead to loss by other means. We all have an ego and a standard in which we follow but I'm sure we don't want anybody making our lives harder for some "sh!ts and giggles".
Trust me it's something I could react to in negative way, I just hope I'm never provoked.
And on a happier note, 'Go you beaut thing Mike" on the thread deletion. Really did you threaten to re-incarnate an All Yorkshire pace attack on the Aussies this summer?

brendan #50999 Fri 29 Oct 2010 01:08:PM
J
jp Offline
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
J
Brendan,
I suppose each person needs to set their own standards.
As far as logging on to a forum in a suspect name,
If its for giggles, i dont see any more harm than that which occurs to a celebrity or politician when someone lampoons them.
Addo correctly describes it....."The assumption of multiple user identities, together with attributed posts that weakly mimic the least serious moments of affected people".
Mimicking is not quite theft.

I'm from a generation where things like log-ons on a computer are considered as private as a sealed envelope (which is perhaps why people dont think twice about leaving me the keys to valuable things), so it came as a huge surprise to me a few month back when I was hanging out with some 19 year old waitresses who were talking about the chaos that they caused each other when they found their mates facebook account logged on.
I was flabergasted that someone would jump to some else's account on its host's computer.
That is identity theft as is your hypothetical.
Creating a log-on in the same name is not.
Its just like those clever dicks who registered 'www....'insert company name' before the rightfull owners cottoned on to the net.
Its not nice and its not polite, but its not identity theft.

Jo

Last edited by jp; Fri 29 Oct 2010 01:19:PM.

Moderated by  VA3DBJ, Webmaster 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Rtuneion, JohnReid, nguyenthanhthuon, Rug_Rig_Fitness, Shelly
2,957 Registered Users
Pictures

NASA Picture of the Day

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day

Picture of the Week

Latest SOHO Solar Image
The latest solar image from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)

NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center

Live Web Cam's
Live Sydney Harbour Bridge Looking South

Live Sydney Warringah Freeway

Live Sydney M2 Motorway Lane Cove

Live Sydney Anzac Bridge

Live Hilo Bay Hawaii

Live Australian Antarctica Casey Division

Live Australian Antarctica Mawson Division

Live Mount Fuji - Japan

Ny-Alesund - Antarctica

AUS-CITY Live Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
Top Posters(30 Days)
Webmaster 3,007
Alisa 528
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics684,854
Posts719,465
Members2,957
Most Online3,142
Jan 16th, 2023
Top Posters
Webmaster 381,903
Alisa 64,175
Jedi Knight 4,142
reuder 557
apsattv 517
ShaRp 408
Big Chief 377
Flux 208
HQSS 138
Copyright 1996 - 2023 by David Cottle. Designed by David Bate Jr. All Rights Reserved.
By using this forum, the user agrees not to transfer any data or technical information received under the agreement, to any other entity without the express approval of the AUS-CITY Forum Admins and/or authors of individual posts (Forum Admins and DoD/USSPACECOM for the analysis of satellite tracking data).

Two-line elements (TLE) and all other satellite data presented and distributed via this forum and e-mail lists of AUS-CITY are distributed with permission from DoD/USSTRATCOM.

UBB Central

Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.

AtomicSecured Linux

Reprise Hosting