Originally Posted by thisisgood
So what is just around for parents to get assistance with??

I think it was yesterday that I said I don't think there is much around. Today I decided to write out what I can think of.

The fact is that most parents who come to the attention of docs have a history of domestic violence, drug & alcohol issues, mental health issues.

So I personally would recommend you if you fall into these categories to seek education, support and help from these organisations -

ring D.V helpline -

You can obtain counselling by seeing your GP and getting a 'mental health care plan' which is basically a referral to a counsellor. There are free psychologist on the Gold Coast.

Centre care

Life Line (these organisations like can direct you to suitable options)

OzCare

Salvation Army

StVincent's de Paul "children and Families Program" at Beenleigh ph: 3807 6623

There is the triple P parenting course

Drug & alcohol issues - ring Biala or look at attending the 'back in control' program. there is ADIS 24 hours counselling service.
alway AA and NA.

Parent Chld and family Support Program - run by QuIHN - 3854 1070

Parent help line

Parent child therapy unit - Psychology Dept. Griffith Uni.

If docs are telling you to see some professional of their choice I would be inclined to get a 2nd opinion as often these say differently to what docs chosen professional diagnoses your problem as.
You are always entitled to a second opinion.

So get pro-active and don't just whinge about docs and do something and get proof of what you attend.

Homeless? try HOST or HHOT

If docs are trying to say you are 'non compliant' with your medication regieme then you can always get a print out of your scripts filled at your chemist as proof.

And remember avoid ringing docs at all costs!!

Great advice thisisgood but not foolproof with the dept so beware, the Dept can and will ignore these efforts, it will be more for the Magistrates attention to satisfy...

But other than that...very good advice to heed in your own lives anyway...