My thought for today is...
From a female's (mother/ nurse) perspective.
I am alarmed at how the Department of Child Safety, Queensland does NOT do a thorough D.V. screen when interviewing women.
Their main focus is what the concern is that brought their attentive spotlight to this parent.
Apparently they only ask loosely around issues.

I just rang an intake officer of my local department and had a chat with them. I said I was looking at information from a nurse perspective with regard to mandatory reporting. This is true.

So after that nice conversation with that nice young woman I can now clearly see the link whereby docs can take over from the perpetrator and side with them (offending male) against the women.

and it is not just good enough to say - Q. Has there been any domestic violence in your relationship with the father?

There needs to be question that go on from that and around it like - Q. Are you afraid of this man for any reason? And issues around control and emotional put downs need to be explored.

The lovely intake officer said she sees a lot of situations whereby men are controlling the woman by holding back money, keeping medicare cards away from her, distancing her from her family, along with the usual verbal put down that attack not only her self esteem but her mothering abilities and confidence.
This isn't always about the physical damage, we are talking psychological.

Bing the light has been switched on here for me. This is another area that I will fight for change in and it won't just be in regards to docs interviewing techniques but also within the mental health services.

I'll tell you a secret. For years us nurses have had very little experience with dealing with D.V. we are not educated to ask questions and make links between women and their mental health issues and D.V.
We do not screen for D.V. on the mental health assessment forms (unless it is staring you in the face by way of broken bones and black eyes). And I have worked in all areas for many years in psych. assessments, acute, long stay and community.

It is a huge area that is slipped under the mat. (why because it is to do with women? A taboo area - they get what they deserve mentality?)

It is time for inservice, education, awareness and proper screening.
I am changing my practice after this.